As the garden has become too wet to work in and Madam's car (1927 Standard 14/28hp) has now been successfully to Northern Spain and back I have started work on the Healey. I have started on the swinging arm, which may seem a strange place to start but there is a certain amount of logic here since I need to do quite a bit of machining for various parts to enable me to fit the rear wheel. The swinging arm bearings are (and were) combined ball and needle roller.
So, after some careful measurement I made some top hat bushes from stainless which enabled me to fit the swinging arm to the engine plates on a dry build basis.
The rollers take the load and the balls prevent sideways movement in one direction. Such sophisticated bearings are not cheap and they don't come in a great variety of sizes but eventually I tracked some down with the correct outside diameter and a suitable length. Tim Healey had told me that the originals were fitted with top hat bushes made by Healeys and then clamped up in place with the swinging arm spindle. The big question was which way round to fit them into the swinging arm but after a lot of thought I came to the conclusion that the only way to fit them is with the ball race to the inside. That way you can push the bearings into the housing in the swinging arm but also push them out again. The only way I can think of ensuring the correct location for the bearing outers is to use loctite. They are slack in the housings anyway, and the Healeys used loctite on all bolts, etc during assembly so they probably used this method for the swinging arm bearings.
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), 54 4G Mk IV (project), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser.