The new Project

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: The new Project

Postby paul.jameson » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:02 pm

The photo is of the shed in the garden in Tampa from which I removed the Healey project 18 months ago. I had to build a packing case for transporting the bits back to the UK so seeing a lot of plywood in the shed I asked Candace, the lady owner, if it would be convenient for me to use that, or whether I should purchase new materials. "Oh no" she said, "those plywood sheets are my hurricane protection - you can't use those. In fact its a miracle that there hasn't been a hurricane here all the time the bike has been in the shed."

The bike was in the shed by 2001 at the very latest and could have been there much earlier.

This area of Tampa is now evacuated in advance of Hurricane Irma's arrival and I know Candace has gone to the eastern side of Florida until the storm passes. I suspect her house may be badly damaged both by wind and by the storm surge but I don't give the old shed an iceberg's chance in hell.

So having (partially) survived a fire, the Healey has now avoided a hurricane and all this without ever being registered for road use, so far as I can tell. I shall try not to crash it first time out.

I managed to get a good set of Metal Profile forks for the project a few weeks ago and the back wheel is now laced up, if not yet trued. Engine dismantling is slowly under way and an oil cooler appeared for it out of the blue (courtesy of Jerry Mortimore) last week.
Attachments
IMG_7587 lowres.jpg
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), 54 4G Mk IV (project), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser.

Keith.owen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Keith.owen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Paul,
Careful what you say................I reminisce over comments about leaking petrol tanks..................

The last big hurricane was Andrew and that flattened Miami even though it wasn't so powerful. I don't think it really affected the west coast very severely if at all. The inlaws,who live in Miami Dade, having experienced Andrew didn't hang around to try Irma. I just hope that when they return from Atlanta in a few days time their house is still capable of re-inhabitation, albeit needing repairs. My nephew's bike are shut inside the house for hopefully safe keeping!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:34 pm

When I got the bike the outer primary case had been removed as a lump complete with clutch and clutch sprocket. This afternoon I decided to dismantle this lot as the next step in the restoration. The primary chain came off by hand easily enough from the back of the case and then I was able to knock the double splined adaptor for the gearbox mainshaft out of the clutch centre using a suitably sized socket as a drift without too much difficulty. Reversing the process, I then was able to tap the clutch plates out of the basket, complete with clutch centre. The 6 bolts holding the clutch basket to the centre came out easily enough using a suitable socket and they showed evidence of being brand new bolts modified to size by the Healeys and held in by loctite and the tab washer. Interestingly, there was another tab washer between clutch sprocket and clutch basket. The final job was to remove the filler plug from the outer chaincase. Being Mazak, the filler plug had partially melted in the fire and refused to unscrew without danger of damaging the chaincase threads. So it came out in several pieces having been drilled and suitably hacksawed apart.

Net result? The chaincase needs polishing, but is otherwise perfect. The clutch needs new corks and cleaning up but is otherwise perfect. The basket looks brand new - complete with the extra lining riveted to the inside of it. Slots in the basket and centre show no signs of wear. The plates look as if they were new (prior to the fire).

The clutch on my first Healey was brand new when I bought the bike (with 829 miles on it from new, 28 years old). It looks as if this clutch was new as well and I don't think this one has done anywhere near 829 miles from new. (But the bike is now about 42 years old).
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), 54 4G Mk IV (project), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser.

pete.collings
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby pete.collings » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:56 pm

The extra six hole tab washer between the sprocket and back of the clutch drum could be to stop the basket rubbing against the primary chaincase. I am not familiar with the setup on a Healey 4, but I have used this method on one of my swinging arm bikes when there was just enough play/end float to allow the basket to catch the outer primary chaincase at one point in its rotation. This may have been due to bearing wear, but the tab washer solved the problem and everything else seemed to still work OK.

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:43 pm

As the garden has become too wet to work in and Madam's car (1927 Standard 14/28hp) has now been successfully to Northern Spain and back I have started work on the Healey. I have started on the swinging arm, which may seem a strange place to start but there is a certain amount of logic here since I need to do quite a bit of machining for various parts to enable me to fit the rear wheel. The swinging arm bearings are (and were) combined ball and needle roller.
IMG_74048.JPG
IMG_74049.JPG
The rollers take the load and the balls prevent sideways movement in one direction. Such sophisticated bearings are not cheap and they don't come in a great variety of sizes but eventually I tracked some down with the correct outside diameter and a suitable length. Tim Healey had told me that the originals were fitted with top hat bushes made by Healeys and then clamped up in place with the swinging arm spindle. The big question was which way round to fit them into the swinging arm but after a lot of thought I came to the conclusion that the only way to fit them is with the ball race to the inside. That way you can push the bearings into the housing in the swinging arm but also push them out again. The only way I can think of ensuring the correct location for the bearing outers is to use loctite. They are slack in the housings anyway, and the Healeys used loctite on all bolts, etc during assembly so they probably used this method for the swinging arm bearings.
So, after some careful measurement I made some top hat bushes from stainless which enabled me to fit the swinging arm to the engine plates on a dry build basis.
IMG_74050.JPG
IMG_74051.JPG
Paul Jameson

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:00 am

They do look very sophisticated bearings Paul...what was wrong with the old ones?
'31 SF31, '35 4F, '46 VH, '48 KG, '38 VB (most of)

Paul

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Like all too many items Paul, the old swinging arm bearings did not survive the fire which wrecked the bike in re-useable condition.
Paul Jameson

paul_turner

Postby paul_turner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:40 pm

I guess Mr Taylor has done his part by the look of it Paul ?

Return to “Member's Bikes”