My 4G Restoration Blog

paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: My 4G Restoration Blog

Postby paul.wirdnam » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:23 pm

I know many people don't "do" Facebook (FB), but the Ariel Motorcycle group on FB has served me well over the last couple of years. I sold my 1930 Model F via FB, and this weekend, a plunger rear stand arrived for my 4G from Spain from a guy who saw my request for help on FB. And I'm very pleased with it; fits like a glove and looks virtually new-old-stock.

Made up the spring top mountings and stand bolts in stainless and fitted a temporary ?BSA? rear stand spring that I had lying around:

1) Why do we use thackery washers on rear stand bolts? (always wondered this)
2) Having removed the 3 nuts, spacer and spindle, how do you separate the 3 stud QD rear wheel from brake drum? Is it just the pegs keeping it together?

'31 SF31, '35 4F, '46 VH, '48 KG, '38 VB (most of)

Paul

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 pm

Having got the bike onto a secure rear stand, time to take out the 3 stud QD rear wheel...except the QD bit wasn't having it :evil: . I removed the 3 stud nuts holding the brake drum to the hub, then the spindle and spacer from the offside. At this point, the wheel hub should have come away leaving the brake drum still bolted to the nearside frame lug.

Tapping it didn't seem to help, so eventually I decided to remove the complete wheel with drum still attached and investigate off the bike. In the end, I did manage to separate the two with gentle tapping of pins and sprocket. I think the 9 locating pins were just clogged with decades of dirt:

Wheel hub with drum removed showing the 9 locating pin holes and 3 larger holes for the threaded studs:

Back of brake drum showing pins and threaded studs:

Inside of brake drum:

I've been quite careful in documenting how all the pieces of the rear hub + drum bolt together and in what order. I'm fortunate in that all the pieces look to be correct, in good condition and correctly assembled. The 3 stud QD wheel and plunger frame seems to a rare combination and many of the parts are not the same as the 3 stud QD wheel on a rigid frame.

Top row shows the drum parts. From right to left is: the drum spindle, MJ7/8 ball bearing with shields either side and circlip, spacer on inside of brake plate, spacer on outside of brake plate (only fits one way due to step on internal bore), snail cam adjuster, nut. The spindle is hollow and accepts main spindle below.

Bottom row shows the hub parts. From right to left is: main spindle, fork sleeve locknut, snail cam adjuster, fork sleeve, main spacer.

I'll investigate the hub bearings tomorrow. Oh, and having got the rear wheel out, I can now see just how bad plunger link bushes can get --- I'd heard that they can wear out quickly leading to poor handling. Mine are shot to pieces :cry: .

Paul

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:54 am

There looks to be a crack at 12 o'clock in your top picture. All of that hub plus the Anstey links must add up to a lot of weight.. Nev

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

nevhunter wrote:There looks to be a crack at 12 o'clock in your top picture. All of that hub plus the Anstey links must add up to a lot of weight.. Nev

:o Nev, you got me rushing to the garage to check....but it is just a scratch:

Paul

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:34 pm

Thought it might be worth checking. Pretty rare, the detachable wheels, aren't they? Nev

paul.wirdnam

Postby paul.wirdnam » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:18 am

The final part of my 3 stud QD rear wheel: the hub bearings.

Nearside (drum side) on the left, offside on the right. You can see in this photo that the LJ7/8 ball bearing on the nearside slides onto the hollow threaded spindle and locks up against the shoulder with the hex nut. When inserted into the hub, the outer race of this nearside bearing then pushes hard up against the shoulder in the hub by the brass threaded ring. So everything is locked up on the nearside:

But it seems strange that the LJ7/8 ball bearing on the offside almost floats in the hub. It cannot go very far into the hub due to the shoulder on the spindle but it never goes anywhere near the shoulder in the hub --- as you can see, there is plenty of original Ariel paint in the hub where the bearing sits. The only thing stopping the bearing moving outwards is that spring wire clip that fits in the groove of the hub:

Paul

Return to “Member's Bikes”