Over the last week I started to really get into putting things together on the VCH, because I am trying to make a road bike I keep running into issues with my previous build of some 40 years ago.
First I have fitted a 9:1 piston instead of the 14:1 and have removed the 3mm spacer under the barrel. (it stopped the valves tapping on the piston) I now feel guilty of how badly I treated the bike, when I took out the old plug (correct length and right heat range for alcohol) I noticed that I had fitted 3 plug washers to to it to stop the piston closing the gap. (I have my last piston with a nice little indent from the plug)
Anyway when I dropped the barrel the side effect was that the pushrods were now too long to have any wiggle room for the tappet clearance without completely undoing the adjusters.
Sweated the silver soldered caps off and shortened them by 3mm inlet and 3.5mm exhaust, next head would not go on in the frame. (will get a new set of studs and nuts when I have time.)
Next problem was that the drop in the barrel also causes a drop in the head and hence the GP carby that now touches the oil tank.
I then purchased a 1 5/32"' 389 Monobloc (from a Matchless G80) and rebuilt, the slide adj was broken off inside the body so I drilled and taped 2BA. The cover was badly warped and would be very incontinent so I faced it off in a jig on the faceplate of the lathe.
Lastly I needed to make a small fixture to allow the cut off frame lug (was for GP carb) to support the tank while giving good clearance for the cable and cap of the carby, it uses a small rubber instead of the large one but allows another 1/2" or more clearance.
Also note that because I don't have the small tank I have to support the front of the seat to the oil tank holding bolt. (aluminium test pieces fitted will now fabricate in steel.)
1951-52 VCH under restoration