VH 500

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: VH 500

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:24 am

Nice bike Jay.

Drags list is now on Version 15 - you can get a PDF from their website, though they sell a printed one with a shiny cover.

It's a must-have! It has stacks of information in its pages ans there are many more words of wisdom on their site.

Enjoy!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby john.mitchell » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:33 am

Hi Jay. In addition to the books Brenton mentions, the AOMCC have had two books printed. We still have a very small stock of Roy Bacon's book "The Postwar Ariels". This book has some info about the prewar Ariels but concentrates on the models produced from 1946 onward. Apart from many photos , drawings and useful text, it has appendices listing the detail changes made in your VH and all the other models Year by year. There are specifications year by year, lists of changes made to each model by year, information about colours used and also lists of engine/frame nos.

There is also The Ariel Story by Peter Hartley, son of the famous tuner details of which can be found on our website at:
http://www.arielownersmcc.co.uk/buying.html

Both books cost £26 post paid to Europe and UK and £30 to the rest of the world.

To purchase the The Bacon book, Postwar Ariels Club Members can contact me by email, details on page 2 of Cheval. In your case, Jay, as I believe you are not a member, send me a personal message via this site.
Attachments
Bacon.jpg
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

Jay.Watson

Postby Jay.Watson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm not that concerned about originality but am interested in what's there - I try to learn as much as I can about all my vehicles, or the place we live or even if we get a visit from an unusual bird in the garden... I just like knowing, hopefully without becoming too anally retentive an anorak and boring the pants off everyone! Most of my vehicles have been far from standard - you might notice the '36 Austin in the background, they never left the factory with twin cam' 4.2s in them. My Harley was rebuilt from a write off using whatever I could find on eBay and the T100SS that I built for the other half had cast wheels and a disc brake from a GSX.
I'm not planning on making any changes to Albert just yet tho' as he is all complete - I know it's sad to give them names (and this is the only one that has one) but somehow it seemed appropriate.

Anyway here's a couple more pic's for those of you who might be interested...

These are after it had a bit more of a clean up, you can clearly see the difference between the headlamp shell and the, as yet untouched, top yoke.

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes it's a VHA 1952-53 head, it will be faster than a 1955 head but for originality I would try to buy the ebay head.

P.s. Nice car.

Jay.Watson

Postby Jay.Watson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:20 pm

Sorry folks, meant to say "thanks" for all the replies so far - it's all worth knowing. Fitted one of my spare headlamps after the untimely suicide of the previous one, only then did I stop to ponder over six or twelve volt... good job it has it stamped on the dynamo (shame my spares are all twelve).

admin

Postby admin » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:09 am

You can convert to 12v either with a 12v regulator (most electronic ones do either 6v and 12v)?? On your bike, you can hide it in the toolbox; where the original one was attached.
The 6v dynamo can also get converted to 12v with another 12v armature and field coil.

I guess it depends mainly on how much riding you do at night and then how much money you have burning a hole in your pocket, how much time you have on your hands and whether yours is running or not.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby barry.swanson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am

...I don't think it's sad to give a machine a name Jay...all mine do anyway...the names are of friends or a previous owner etc, plus Its about the only way my non-mechanical better half can come close to knowing which bike is which! Barry.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Mine have a name relating to the reg no, my 51VH is called the devils bike because it has 666 in it, and my 58VH has PDW which I call "pretty damn wicked" and at the moment my KH should have S.O.B in it because I cant start the B"£$%%^^

Steve

Jay.Watson

Postby Jay.Watson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks all for the info' on List15 - finally managed to download it, had a few problems as we've a very slow broadband connection but appears to be well worth the effort. At least I can now tell which bits are missing and what they are going to cost to replace. After running more modern stuff for years it still surprises me how cheap bits are for bikes like these (not quite to the level of BSA, Harley, Triumph etc. but certainly cheaper than modern Jap' stuff) so it shouldn't be too painful getting this on the road.

John.Mitchell - thanks, not forgotten you, just a couple of other jobs require funding first...

A more thorough inspection shows both rocker boxes to be loose and/or missing studs, I've fitted the dynamo which is chucking out plenty but am missing the retaining strap, there's a bit of wiring loom to fabricate and a regulator and headlamp needed, other than that just a drive chain and the rest is mainly "strip, clean and reassemble". I shall try to put this on the road initially without spending a small fortune on it, who knows I might not even enjoy it? Although I think that unlikely as I loved my old Enfield Bullet which is a similar device, tho' part of the Bullet's charm was that it owed me so little, currently a fifth of what Albert has cost so far.... Having said all that my other half loves the Ariel, despite it not actually going anywhere yet, and quite fancies something similar for herself. What have I started? :roll:

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Yes the 53-54 treads of the rockerboxbolts are fine like a steel head, they tend to rip out, 1955+ had course treads, best to coil them to course.

Return to “Member's Bikes”