Ariel 1948 VH project

Derek.stratton

Ariel 1948 VH project

Postby Derek.stratton » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:20 am

hi, my name is Derek, im new to the website. a couple of months ago i started restoring my first Ariel. 1948 VH that was given to me by my father, who is an ariel fanatic and an outstanding bike builder. I thought i would post some pics of the build. Heres the bike when it first arrived at my house.
Attachments
Image0035.jpg
Image0037.jpg

Derek.stratton

Re: Ariel 1948 VH project

Postby Derek.stratton » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:30 am

here is an update.
forks rebuilt
all new bearings in the crank
new front rim and spokes and tire from Feked (very happy with them).
lots spent so far. slow going
Attachments
image.jpg

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Steven.Carter » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:58 am

Looking great, could you get the back wheel on and maybe wheel it forward a bit :D

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 am

Hello Derek,
And welcome. Looking great and that pic too.
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:54 pm

Hi Derek,
Looks great. You'll love it when it's complete. The late 40's may be the best VH's - tele forks, still light and simple and the classic looks (not that I am biased...). There's a bit of tuning info on this forum of you want to go that way. In any direction, pay attention to flywheel balance - 67%. This can make a really big difference.
You would be right about your dad's bike skills, but you didn't mention what lovely people he and your mum are. They did everything possible to make us welcome at the Grafton Black Ariel rally last year and at Mt Gambier.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Derek.stratton

Postby Derek.stratton » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:42 am

hey Brenton, thanks for the reply. yeah there isn't enough room on this page to write about how great i think my parents are. they are fantastic people.
the old man did the fly wheel and its within spec. So should be no problem there. i have had the bike for 6 years, just been holding off. iv'e been preoccupied with 70's style hondas.
much to my parents disgust.. hahaha.
so in between trying to find another honda CB350 twin to build, iv'e finally started it... and it's already turned into a fierce love hate relationship!! haha
would be very interested in reading up on the tuning info.
cheers mate
Derek

john.deeth

Postby john.deeth » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 am

G'Day Derek,

Nice work! It's good to see you've finally come around to the Ariel way. At least you'll stay in the will now!

I particularly like your priorities. That is, the wall painting can always wait! I also like the feeble attempt at wall paper. :lol:

I also note you've got yourself a set a Whitworth shifters!

I look forward to more postings.

Cheers,

John.
'46 NG, '51 VH, Current project - '27 Model C, 1910 Rex single

Derek.stratton

Postby Derek.stratton » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:08 pm

thanks john,
yeah that wall.. problem is, there is always a bike between me and the wall... i can never get to it. haha
i'll keep posting things as they happen.
cheers
Derek

Derek.stratton

Postby Derek.stratton » Thu May 08, 2014 10:03 am

ok got the rear wheel sorted (finally).
got it trued up by bernadette in fredericton. off set 48mm (1-7/8) from the brake hub. its looking good. just need a tire.
also got the forks tightened up and the headlight on. the front brake plate i have had chromed..
got a seat off the old man... just waiting for a seat spring set to arrive, then i'll get a cover and chrome the springs.
oh yeah also fitted a front guard, not original but it's all i've got for now.
Attachments
IMG_1735.jpg

Derek.stratton

Postby Derek.stratton » Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 am

ok, here is where i have been having a little trouble... this being my first ariel, i'm sure that i'm bound to make some mistakes, what am i talking about, i already have. haha
anyway, i had some trouble putting on the timing case. i ordered and replaced the bushes an both the crank case and timing case. i installed the single lobe cam (thanks again dad) and put on the timing case. Both gaskets used. i had a fair amount of side free play with the cam once the case was tightened up.
now my problem was that the mag cam sprocket when slide onto the cam shaft would hit the case before it would stop. Got another sprocket of dad... same problem.
so i pulled it down again and after consulting the old man found that the crank case bush was to far in..... so i drilled it out and ordered another one. 2 weeks later. round 2.
installed the new bush in the crank case (not to far in this time), fitted the cam, and i found it to be slightly tight. i did a dummy mock up, it was still slightly tight when rotating the crank, by slightly tight i mean i could rotate it with one finger, but if i put the conrod at the bottom of the stroke and removed my finger it would stay there and not rise to the top, as before. but the mag cam sprocket went on properly and didn't hit at the back. so after the fear of the 1st set back i decided not to use the large timing case gasket, i used the small round gasket and gasket goo on the entire cover.
now i'm not sure.... is it to tight?? the 1st time it ran with free play but i couldn't get the sprocket to stop on the cam. now its slightly tight but i can get the sprocket fitted properly.
suggestions???

oh yeah i got a little carried away after cleaning the oil pump and decided to install it..... i really hope that the mag chain has a break link.. fingers crossed.
cheers
Derek
Attachments
IMG_1736.JPG

Return to “Member's Bikes”