The rebuild starts - 1935 Red Hunter

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: The rebuild starts - 1935 Red Hunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:29 am

You may have too much. I don't like grease on it's own Add some gear oil to allow it to churn. Have you installed the later seal modification? I'm not sure you can get the originals any more .Nev

chrisf
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby chrisf » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:54 am

Didn't do any mods, just put everything back as was, with the exception of a couple of replacement parts. The 'seal' (I think??) was a shim and felt washer of some sort, can't quite remember now off the top of my head... might not have even had a felt washer, just a shim?? I can remember thinking on assembly it wasn't a lot to keep all the grease in the box... Quantity was as supplied by Draganfly which was supposed to be the correct amount... Maybe I'll make a separate post on this topic to see what people think :?:
1935 NH350 - 1947 BSA M20 - 1972 Vauxhall Viva - 1972 Austin-Morris J4 Van

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:42 am

If that is the set up don't worry about having too much grease, and it's a bit inevitable some will come out. The big worry with grease is it may not get into the layshaft bearings well enough. It can also fling away from the gears and not lubricate them . You don't use the gears on a solo like you do with a chair where you run in gears up hills a lot. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:23 am

The surprising thing is that when you found an old bike with grease in the box,it was always OK,when you found one with oil it was usually knackered.Nortons used oil in the gearbox and had no more advanced oil sealing than a couple of steel washers.Part of the secret is to have an oil slinger on the inboard side of the main bearing.Ball [and roller] bearings dont need much oil,contrary to the beliefs of the modern flood lubrication brigade,and oil in a bike gearbox carries hard steel chips with it,which lock bearings and cause cage failure.Regards John.

Return to “Member's Bikes”