Exhausts were a problem. Although the originals came with the bike, they were all damaged in the fire. The pair on the right side had got so hot in the fire that the silencers had gone oval instead of round. On the left side, each pipe had a big dint close to the cylinder head. My guess is that the dints were caused when the bike fell over as the holding down straps burnt through on the right side which was the side where the fire was fiercest. As the pipes are welded to the silencers, a complete new set of exhausts seemed like a plan.
I was very keen for the bike to sound right so I had to find someone able to take one of the existing silencers apart and then replicate its internals exactly. Custom Fabrications at Attleborough near Norwich did the job for me, aided by the old exhausts to use as patterns and three rusty NOS pipes. These I had borrowed, along with a fourth pipe but examination showed that the fourth pipe incorporated a bend going the wrong way - easily done on such contorted pipes. So the megaphones were made and the pipes roughly bent before I took the bike over there in Geoff Brown's van. (Thanks again Geoff). Final adjustments were made, megaphones were welded to pipes and brackets added. The silencing internals were made and fitted the following week, after which the pipes were sent to me.
To save money, I decided to polish them myself prior to chroming.
Note the polishing shop here consists of the polishing mop temporarily bolted to Madam's potting table in the garden and fed by a cable out of the workshop window. A quick trial polishing session revealed that the pipes in particular, where they had been heated to be bent, needed attention with 400 grit emery before the polishing mop was applied. So I bought a load of suitable discs from "The Polishing Shop" and set to work with the angle grinder. I quickly found that the only way to hold the exhaust so that I could apply the angle grinder was in the vice of my woodworking bench. A day's hard work later, the exhausts were ready for the polishing mop. Then I noticed that a fine layer of black magnetic dust had settled upon everything in the workshop, including the lathe, the mill, the bikes and Madam's 1927 Standard car. This was not my finest hour. Six weeks later I am still cleaning up. But the exhausts got polished and then went to S & T plating at Yate for chroming. I was very happy with the eventual outcome but, even with me doing the polishing, total costs of the exhausts were just short of £1400.
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.