Six months since my last update
. I'd like to say that progress is slow but steady, but in truth, it is slow and erratic. In my defence, back in April, a friend and I bought three oily rag 1930 Douglas S6/T6 motorcycles and we've had fun re-commissioning those and riding them. Here they are in Milton Abbas a few weeks ago:
But back to this 4G. Got all the parts back from the chrome platers in May although, due to a misunderstanding, they failed to knock out a couple of minor dents in the tank. Not a problem, they can remain; they are part of the bike's rich history after all. The rear brake lever is chromed because it was chromed when I got the bike. There are a couple of parts from a 1930 Model F in this photo:
Progress on the wheels. Lots of pre-dismantled photos taken of the spoke lacing pattern plus lots of measurements to record offset. New stainless rims, 19" x 40 front, 18" x 38 back, from Draganfly --- minor hiccup here as CWC had mis-labelled the packaging on one of them and had supplied chromed instead of s/steel. I didn't check when they arrived 18 months ago but Draganfly kindly sorted it out
. I decided to do a dummy run of building the wheels, partly to check spoke lengths, offsets etc but also to see how much scratching of the red rim centre I was likely to do
Dummy wheel building was fine, so on to painting the centre of the rims using a 1K aerosol with colour REN 705, a Renault Rouge colour and as recommended by Paul Jameson. Have to say, it's a nice colour and it went on well. Before lacing, I'll be finishing off these centres with a Pro XL 2K aerosol lacquer, using a suitable ABEK2P3 mask, and once the weather cools down a bit. The gold line will be applied and lacquered once the wheels are spoked. When lacing, I'm planning to slip a small piece of heat shrink on the end of each spoke to help protect the red.
'28 Model B (future project), '30 Model F, '31 SF31, '35 4F, '38 VB (abandoned project), '39 4G (current project), '46 VH, '48 KG