Page 2 of 2

Re: WNG carb advice needed and road legal

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 am
by Simon.Gardiner
To get road tax for £0 you need to get it into the 'Historic Vehicle' taxation class (if it isn't already).
You are allowed modifications to a 'historic' machine if they are of the type that could have been legitimately made within 10 years of the model going out of production, or if they improve safety (eg brakes) (or if they make it more environmentally friendly!). I would think Ariel tele forks on a W/NG could be eminently acceptable.

As with Will, wishing you the very best of luck with it!


Re: WNG carb advice needed and road legal

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:44 am
by Mick D

As I understand it you are referring to two separate conditions, zero cost taxation and MOT exemption:

For the purpose of taxing the vehicle you do not need to make the declaration of exemption from MOT, ie 'no substantial change', (V112), if you have an MOT performed, (tax is still £0).

The vast majority of vehicles manufactured over 40 years ago are automatically exempt vehicle taxation fees, although you still need tax the vehicle at £0.

If you choose to declare the vehicle exempt from MOT you need to convince yourself, (and the local force should they pull you over), that the vehicle has not been substantially modified. (You make this declaration, it will be up to you to substantiate it).

Of course the perceived level of modification can also have a great bearing on your insurance company's opinion should you make a claim.

All of the information is available on the website and as your position regarding the level of modification could be questioned I'd suggest you became familiar with the facts in readiness ;)

Regards Mick

Re: WNG carb advice needed and road legal

Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm
by Simon.Gardiner
'Vehicles of Historic Interest (VHI): Substantial change Guidance'
"A vehicle will be considered substantially changed if the technical characteristics of the main components have changed in the previous 30 years, unless the changes fall into specific categories. These main components for vehicles, other than motorcycles, are....."
(Note the rolling 30-year cut-off and that the spec of 'main components' is for vehicles other than motorcycles. I haven't been able to find an equivalent spec for motorcycles.)

Official guidance continues:
"The following are considered acceptable (not substantial) changes if they fall into these specific categories:
-changes that are made to preserve a vehicle, which in all cases must be when original type parts are no longer reasonably available;
-changes of a type, that can be demonstrated to have been made when vehicles of the type were in production or in general use (within ten years of the end of production);
-in respect of axles and running gear changes made to improve efficiency, safety or environmental performance....."

I've had my now 'bitsa' 500/650 back on the road since June 2011, at which point I think I had to pay for tax and have it MOTd. I can remember not getting £0-rate road tax until I'd got the taxation class changed to Historic Vehicle, but the bike was still being MOTd.
I haven't got MOTs for the last few years - I got out of the habit when I hardly used the Ariel for 12 months - but I can't recall ever signing anything to declare it a 'VHI' ( which is what gets the MOT exemption). Maybe that's 'senior memory'. I tax the bike online (at £0 rate) when I get the DVLA reminders and that always goes through smoothly so I assume everyone is happy.

What's that officer? Why have I got a 1956 frame and wheels with all-1955 cycle parts and a hydraulic 2LS front brake with a Honda master-cylinder on the handlebars? May I refer you to the qualifications for the VHI 'substantial changes? And congratulations on your unusual knowledge of old British motorcycles...'