wipac headlight for 1957 colt

Bikes or not. Whatever
peterg

wipac headlight for 1957 colt

Postby peterg » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:01 am

Hi everybody,
I am attempting to restoring a 1957 colt which has many parts missing. It had wipac electrics of which little remains. I am trying to source a wipac headlight. I understand that this headlight has two electrical switches and an ammeter. If anyone has one for sale, or knows were there is one for sale, I would appreciate their help.
If i am trying to find the wrong type of headlight I would like to hear form anybody who can help. All advice is welcome as I am a complete novice at motorcycle restoration.
Thank you for taking the time to read this,

regards,
Peterg

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: wipac headlight for 1957 colt

Postby Paul_Linden » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:39 pm

Hello Peter, I may be able to help you as I have a headlamp from the earlier (1954) Colt. That has one big switch which does the lighting and ignition, and doesn’t have an ammeter. If you are interested let me know and I can dig it out and send you pictures. This will be at the weekend as I’m not free until then. Regards, paul
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:13 pm

There is a nice 57 colt on Andy Teirnans site you may be able to use as referance

peterg

Postby peterg » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:51 am

Hi Andy,
Thanks for replying. It is that picture which has sent me on the hunt for a headlight with two switches and an ammeter. Do you know if BSA used this headlight?

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Paul_Linden » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:44 pm

The early to mid-50s model BSA C10 used the same headlight as the Colt, and like the Colt there are two types. The earlier type with one big switch for ignition and lighting but no ammeter; and the later type with separate switches and an ammeter.
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

chris.shearwood

Postby chris.shearwood » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:28 pm

peterg wrote:If i am trying to find the wrong type of headlight I would like to hear form anybody who can help. All advice is welcome as I am a complete novice at motorcycle restoration.

Hello Peter,
According to Roy Bacon in his book "Ariel The Postwar Models" it looks like you are looking for the correct headlight. See the paragraphs on the bottom left hand side of the page.
Attachments
Colt.jpg
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 pm

I am sorry I don't think I have anything that can help,I just saw the picture when I visited his site, and thought it might be of help.regards Andy

Dave.Barkshire

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:28 am

I have a vague memory that the 2-switch vs 1-switch system use a different alternator? I think one has 4 wires and the other has 3. That's just how I remember it and this may not be true.

Just saying in case you are thinking about changing to the 1-switch system.
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1
1930 Ariel Model B
2011 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
AOMCC Member 3400

peterg

Postby peterg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 am

Paul_Linden wrote:The early to mid-50s model BSA C10 used the same headlight as the Colt, and like the Colt there are two types. The earlier type with one big switch for ignition and lighting but no ammeter; and the later type with separate switches and an ammeter.

Thanks for the information, it is a real help. I appreciate your time. Thank you for your offer of the headlight, but I think I will keep hunting for the the one with the double switches. Thanks again.

peterg

Postby peterg » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:41 am

chris.shearwood wrote:
peterg wrote:If i am trying to find the wrong type of headlight I would like to hear form anybody who can help. All advice is welcome as I am a complete novice at motorcycle restoration.

Hello Peter,
According to Roy Bacon in his book "Ariel The Postwar Models" it looks like you are looking for the correct headlight. See the paragraphs on the bottom left hand side of the page.

Thank you for this information. I have just ordered the book. I am sure it will be helpful.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”