cruising speed VH

Bikes or not. Whatever
Leejm
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: cruising speed VH

Postby Leejm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:48 pm

They do, for squares and twins but don't recommend them for singles. As it states on the Website the bike will be overgeared.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA (project)

ChrisNewton

Postby ChrisNewton » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:33 pm

Roger

you are correct they do - i just imagined that the rear wheel sprocket would be the simple solution

however if this is the only option perhaps its the way to go

paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby paul.jameson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:30 pm

I am with David Anderson that the optimum engine sprocket for the VH is 22T. Mine is currently 23T but the (1937) bike will happily cruise at 60mph if I want it to. Son Rob has found me a 22T sprocket (to replace my old one which has ended up on his bike) and I will fit this next time I have the primary side down. In the 1970s I ran a VH on 22T which had higher top speed than when I went to 23T, just as David says. The other advantage of 22T is better acceleration and a more nimble bike on local lanes.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser.

tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tonyh » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:37 pm

My 59 VH is quite happy at 60mph and is smoother at this speed than 50mph. All std gearing

charvey

Postby charvey » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:07 am

Hi, When I go down to Oxford from Stamford about once a month as the speedo has not worked for years on the main roads lorries just creep past so I cruise about 55-58 mph BUT its a different story in Nothampton when you nip away from the roundabouts much to the suprise of some of the road users and in and out of the traffic on the bypass,good fun on a 39 ariel 500 girder and solid back end,I attach a reflective wastcoat to a haversack with the tool and lunch in, had a few close calls from van man and some cars but the lorries are mostly good giving me plenty of room.Clive

ChrisNewton

Postby ChrisNewton » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:39 pm

Gentlemen

Thank you for the insight - My VH will hit speeds up to 70 mph - i haven't gone any faster although is suspect it would do it, the speedo has been refurbished so i assume its close to this speed
that aside it does shake a tad, my thinking is that i've become to refined in my old age and that the bike is operating as it should

Comfort for me is below 50 mph which it hits easily and swiftly, my original question was posed because i considered with the torque and currant gear ratios the engine need not work as hard as it was - and revving that much when nearing top end

Given that the bike will go from below 30 to over 70 in top gear i wondered if changing the sprocket configuration would give me a bike that wasn't revving like crazy at 65 and for speeds below 30mph i could use 3rd or 2nd gear :lol:

Return to “Main Chat Forum”