KH 500 stanchions

Bikes or not. Whatever
kevinbowman

KH 500 stanchions

Postby kevinbowman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:30 pm

Looking to replace the stanchions and bushes on the forks of my 51 Kh. Dragonfly have the bushes of which one per leg needs to be machined but no stanchions,they say they will put them on back order but already have the forks apart and I do not want to be waiting for their stock to arrive when ever that might be. According to their web site the stanchions are the same for the Huntmaster. I don't want to be ordering bushes from one place and the stanchions from another, can anyone point me in the right direction as to who else stocks them.Any help would be good Kevin Bowman.

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: KH 500 stanchions

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:09 pm

HI try the clubs spares :?: and i think that some of the bsa ones fit the forks as well :!:

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 am

John Budgen has stanchions, bushes etc listed
http://www.johnbudgenmotorcycles.co.uk/ ... alogue.htm

Paul Goff has 'equivalent' BSA parts (although the bushes are in his 'upgrade' kits, not listed separately).

All Ariel stanchions/bushes are physically interchangeable but the bushes were lengthened during the 1950's and also the positioning of the damping holes. As far as I'm aware 1950's BSA stanchions/bushes are similarly physically interchangeable with Ariel components but again the damping holes can be different.

I don't know if the Ariel and BSA changes were the same, or made at the same time. However, as long as the set of components is a matched spec (ie damping holes in the same place on both legs and the appropriate short/long bushes) I'm pretty certain they'll work fine on a '51 bike.

(I notice that Goffy seems quite expensive - I've spoken to him at the Shepton jumble a few times and one year he was having a good moan about how long it had taken him to get properly-sized stanchions and bushes for a front-end rebuild on his BSA so possibly/hopefully his prices reflect higher quality components!)

HTH

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:41 am

HI try Peter at the club single spares his friend is a BSA parts seller i see them both at kempton park i think he will know about the forks and i know Goffy is dear with is parts and if you look around you can get them a lot cheaper i get all my LEDS light ect off a supplier a hell of a lot cheaper

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:04 am

If all else fails you can have the old ones refurbished by hard chroming, I had a pair done some years ago by a company in Luton, forget their name, it took about 2 weeks.
The diameter of the stanchions are firstly ground to a smaller diameter, hard chromed and then finally ground back to the correct diameter.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:49 pm

hi you will not beat hard chroming it does not rust like normal chrome and it is hard wearing i have got rams that we have made years ago on my recover lorries and their is no wearing or rusting or pitting with hard chrome it is used on all mining equipment it is not cheap but it is the best you can get if you want a good job that lasts :D

kevinbowman

Postby kevinbowman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted John Budgen this morning and have got fixed up with every thing. Regarding the hard chrome if I keep the old stanchions I can always get them done at a later date.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”