ALLOY WELDING

Bikes or not. Whatever
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

ALLOY WELDING

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:34 pm

HI Have you used low temp aluminium welding rods you can use a gas blow torch or map gas with do they work and can you get a good weld and finish with them and is the weld strong

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: ALLOY WELDING

Postby keith wainwright » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi Johnny it's OK for small plate work up to say 1/8" thick but no good for welding the fins. The Map gas does not provide enough heat. Tig is the answer but cleaning is very important, stainless steel wire brush that has not been ussed for cleaning anything other than aluminum. Degreas with foam spray cleaner. PS use the partners nail polish cleaner when she's not looking?

keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby keith wainwright » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:08 pm

I was trying to remember the degreaser it's Acetone.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 pm

HI Keith i am going to weld the chain cases on the clutch i am going to degase it first then do i wire brush it first or do i acetone it first i have seen you can weld a side of bolt a hole that is missing if you put a bolt in then wen cold you can screw it out and it leaves a thread do you know if it works ps i have got my own big bottle of acetone so i will not get told off :lol: :lol:

Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:52 pm

Is that Lumiweld?

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:09 pm

HI Simon one type is lumiweld but i have seen a lot of types of low melt rods on EBAY but i am not sure witch ones to use yet :?: :?

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:02 am

TIG welding of Al is not that hard if you prepare and preheat and cool carefully. It's not a dissimilar technique to oxy welding but easier. Any time you are welding in the middle of something beware of cracking it. . The heat is very concentrated but it's a clean weld unless the original metal is porous and you then get some oxidised metal CRAP which you can float to the top. Dirty metal (porous) is hard to weld with any method. IF you do it with low melt or oxy and wish to subsequently do it with TIG and an argon shield you must remove all trace of previous work ideally. The general objection to doing it with oxy-acetylene is you can get flux inclusions which corrode. Done properly this doesn't happen but I rarely do oxy these days on aluminium, as it's much more tricky to control the melt puddle and the flux. Practice on things you don't need till you are happy with the result. OR get someone who is expert at it in the first place. Nev

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:24 am

I've used 'Lumiweld' successfully on small jobs (filling holes where the thread stripped and so on). I keep a load of rods in readiness as its a useful process.

I also have a MIG and TIG welders. I repaired a Horse Trailer alloy partition with the MIG, using alloy wire, Argon shielding gas and with the polarity reversed (torch is Negative). It was OK but not the greatest weld - pre-heating is essential with MIG, I find.

My TIG welder has both D/C & A/C current options. For Alloy use A/C, Torch is Negative, Argon gas, Zirconiated (white tip) Tungsten and, if possible, adjust the A/C frequency (mine goes up to 200 Hz) to clean the oxide off the alloy ahead of the weld.

Its a whole different world when you get a modern, very complicated, A/C - D/C TIG welder :lol: .

Which reminds me, I have a pair of Panther crankcases to repair (once I've had more practice) :? .

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:53 am

I did a ally horse float for the guy I was working for some years ago,using a steel setup Mig ,no new liner or anything......just a spool of ally wire,and a cylinder of argon......it was ,IIRC ,a DueMig 205 /single phase,and the welds were on ally chequerplate about 4mm thick ........no problem with the weld ,bead nicely shaped ,but I found that welding ally is a very intense white light which played havoc with my cataracts,and I had to rig up a guide to get the bead in the right place...Never had any trouble with steel,or with stick welding ,or arc gouging .

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:23 pm

HI I Have no problem in the workshop i have MIG-TIG ARC GAS and LASER welding and alloy welding up to 25mm thick with a mig i was looking at low melt alloy welding wen i am out in places when it can take a day to get somewhere that got power to do a little job i just need to know if its works and its ok and get me out of trouble :?: :?: :roll:

Return to “Main Chat Forum”