powdercoat disaster

Bikes or not. Whatever
admin
Holder of a Silver Anorak

powdercoat disaster

Postby admin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:22 pm

I bought a third WNG project earlier this year. Mostly there, strange mudguards and a few other bits missing but some really good original bits though (jaeger early speedo, long throttle etc). Different shades of handpainted green, black and rust.

cos I have two WNG's on the road (with panniers etc etc) i thought I'd just whack on some alloy short guards, run without lights or chaincases and put a scrambles cam in.

Stripped it to bits and decided to powdercoat a few bits, as it seemed silly not to with everything apart.
I know a man that does powdercoating for cash, although he takes a few weeks. He's done lots of stuff for me over the years and it's been good and rugged.

Dropped it down a month ago - he didn't have an exact green to anything already on there but reckoned he could find something similar.
Had a call from him weds saying that the choice of greens were limited but he had a "moss green" which he's done for spitfires before ... (he knows it's a ww2 bike) but it's satin. I look up ww2 spitfires and, knowing te variety of green colours on bikes and that it'll be covered in oil and muck within a year then I'm good.

I'll take a picture in a moment, when I can face going in the garage.
What he meant was MG Spitfire green .................... which is almost, but not quite racing green ... I could have cried.

What to do ?
the forks, front wheel and tank are in different shades of olive/khaki green .. but now the frame, rear wheel, toolbox, engine plates and metal other bits are the colour of a 1970's car...
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: powdercoat disaster

Postby TonyBaxter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:50 pm

My '39 Triumph 600cc 6S is painted in 1970s Triumph Damson, same as the Triumph 2000 car. Doesn't worry me. If you're really bothered then slap on a coat of something cheap and cheerful that's a closer match to the rest. At least the powder coat will protect the metal even if your top coat gets chipped. Sounds like it will be a fun LDR or green lane bike and the paint mix-up will just be a part of it's story!

john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby john.nash » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:11 pm

20191206_140614.jpg
John "Josh" Nash
AOMCC No.4119
2009 royal Enfield,1978 t140 bonneville, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, 1960 k750, ''51 kH500, ''49 soon to be Ariel bobber, 47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '43 Ariel WNG, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....

BryanLambert

Postby BryanLambert » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:50 pm

For a “third bike” in very non-original condition, especially for green-laning, I would just go with it and worry about it another time.

TonyBaxter
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby TonyBaxter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:22 pm

john.nash wrote:
20191206_140614.jpg

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Not saying a thing...................

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:36 pm

Spray it with mud
AOMCC Treasurer

alan.moore

Postby alan.moore » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:21 pm

John,
It will certainly be unique. It's sort of like the export Ariel green colour :D

From the tone of your post I get the feeling that you may find it difficult to live with. If that's the case then it should be possible to flat off the powder coat with some Scotchbrite pads and apply a couple of coats of self priming enamel type paint by brush. I use Rustoleum combiColor (satin for my WNG...see my post in WNG section of forum)) and it gives a good hard finish when its fully hardened.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 pm

Wear Raybands when entering your shed.

admin

Postby admin » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:52 pm

alan.moore wrote:John,
I use Rustoleum combiColor (satin for my WNG...see my post in WNG section of forum)) and it gives a good hard finish when its fully hardened.

Cheers
Alan

did you brush that on or spray it ?
I am lucky enough to have a basement and a one of the rooms down there is heated ... I was thinking of getting some sheets down and just spending an afternoon spraying or painting it over. Once it''s covered with the usual oil and mud, then you'll never tell ..
John Nash
Administrator

GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby GuyWalton » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:06 pm

oh deer , or dear , i'd either hang a set of red antlers on it and live with it OR i'd bite the bullet and get it done the right colour by someone who isnt colour blind . probably the latter .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R

Return to “Main Chat Forum”