Sleepless Night

Bikes or not. Whatever
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Sleepless Night

Postby david.anderson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:10 am

My current home in Meroo Meadow (near Nowra) is now for sale and I am currently building in Bodalla. I have almost finished a large garage/shed that incorporates a bed sitter flat at the rear that I intend to live in while I build my new house. I have been building every weekend for the last 18 months and have nearly finished. I have insured but the value related to partial completion and is now only 66% of what I have spent. I have spent the Christmas new year break painting and received word yesterday that my current home may come under attack from bushfire on 1/1/20 so I returned home that evening, 30/12/19.
There has been a large fire (known as the Currowan fire) burning between Nowra and Bodalla for over a month and it has been slowly spreading. At times the Princes Hwy has been cut due to the fire and on one occasion I had to make the journey from Bodalla to Nowra via Bega and Cooma due to the Princes highway being closed. That was an 8 hour trip whereas the trip normally takes me 2.15 hours.
There were no fires south of the Currowan fire however I woke this morning to find that Bodalla may be under attack by bushfire today. I have not been able to confirm where the fires are in relation to Bodalla as my neighbours have evacuated and the mobile phone network is down. I was amazed to find that the town of Cobargo just to the south of Bodalla was decimated and several lives lost there. I am also amazed to find houses and industrial buildings lost to the north of Bodalla in Mogo, Batemans Bay and Moruya today. We have not had any rain for over 4 months now and would normally have had about 400mm of rain in that time so conditions are very dry and today saw temperatures soar to 45C degrees locally and moderate NW winds fanned and spread the fire at a rapid rate. The fire has in some places been so intense that it has created its own weather including mini tornados. In one instance an 8 ton fire truck was picked up by the windstorm and up ended killing one fire fighter and injuring two others. The Princes Hwy has again been cut by fire in several places and the inland route by Cooma has also been cut by fire. It is expected that the roads could be cut for days. The Princes Hwy has also been cut in Victoria.
So I currently do not know what the fire state is near my Property at Bodalla, I do not know if there are any fire fighters available to defend property in Bodalla and I do not know when I will find out as all mobile phone and internet communication in the area has been cut. I clearly cannot return due to road closures.
As I look out my window from my home in Meroo Meadow all that I can see is an amber glow and intense smoke. I have been told that the fire has jumped the Shoalhaven river to the west of me. So I have to hope that the winds overnight and tomorrow are SE as a westerly will see an intense ember attack that may set fire to bushland adjoining my southern boundary. I have been advised by police to evacuate but have decided to stay and defend. I may be here for several days as if I evacuate police/emergency services will not let me return to my property for several days after the fire has passed. At least if I stay I may be able to put out the spot fires. What I do have to be careful of is that I am on tank water and my supply is at half due to the extended dry spell and I need power to operate my water pump. So my generator is ready to be started.
See main road closures here and look at the area from Sydney to the Victorian border. The map only shows main road closures and not minor roads. You can zoom in. https://www.livetraffic.com/desktop.html
See this map for NSW fires. The red fires are out of control. The current mapping is not up to date as I have been told of industrial property loss in north Moruya. My property at Bodalla is 4km west of the town so it may have already been impacted by the fire as the latest update shows it is only a couple of kilometres away. You can zoom the map.
https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-informa ... es-near-me
I have also just found out that mobile phone and internet communication may soon be lost here.
7.00pm here and it is going to be a long night and some worrying days ahead. I hope the new year sees better things.
David

GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Sleepless Night

Postby GuyWalton » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:00 am

Hope all goes well David it sounds horrific .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R

Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Bob.Murphy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:59 am

All the best, David. We watch the news and wonder how people cope under those conditions, its unimaginable to us here in our green and wet land. Sometimes we yearn for your weather, but this is the downside.

I hope everything works out for you, keep us posted - we'll be thinking of you (and all Australians).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

admin

Postby admin » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:30 am

Good luck David.
If only we could swap some of our rain for some of your sunshine.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

MARK.WALSH
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby MARK.WALSH » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:27 pm

David
the fires are reported daily over here in the UK and it Looks like hell on earth. I hope your property and nearby neighbourhood escape any damage - good luck .

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:28 pm

My word David, thats an awfull worry for you. I can't imagine what your going through .
Steve

adrian.hannam

Postby adrian.hannam » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:44 pm

Good Luck David, stay safe. Adrian.
'48 KG outfit, '51 VH, '51 4G (in bits)
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi david i hope you are lucky and it misses you i have been watching it everyday because we have got family out their and we cannot get in touch with them as you say it all gone down take care and good luck we will be thinking of you :shock:

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:47 pm

Thanks for your kind wishes.
Locally the fire threat has eased. While the fires jumped the Shoalhaven river to the west of me, locals on watch in boats on the river were able to advise RFS of the spot fires which were able to be put out. Today temperatures and wind conditions have eased so the fire spread has also eased. However predictions for Saturday are again for high temperatures and winds so the trreat may return.
The only information that I have regarding Bodalla is that the fire front has passed through the area but there are still areas of active fire within Bodalla. There is no power phone or internet in the area so I have been unable to contact any locals to find out the state of my property. I do know 2 of my neighbours stayed to fight the fire. So I am hopeful that they were able to put out any spot fires. The Princes hwy remains closed indefinitely so I will have to wait for power and phone to be restored in the areas before I can find out anything. That may also take days.
At least I still have phone power and internet here but I know that nearby south Nowra does not.
This is a photo of my 190m2 shed/garage in Bodalla as it was 3 days ago. the property is 3.5 acres. My house will attach to the carport on the left of the photo. Fortunately I have completed a concrete path surround and much of the area close to it is bare ground due to earthworks and the drought that has stopped any grass growth. There are however 3 trees within 10m of the shed which pose a threat, but that I am unable to remove until after a final inspection of the building due to recent bullshit environmental legislation.
David
DSCN2185a.JPG

DSCN2186a.JPG

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:15 pm

HI David if you you did not have them trees so near to you i think you would be ok lets hope it does not happen and i hope your house is ok to and you all come through this ok and take care

Return to “Main Chat Forum”