Sleepless Night

Bikes or not. Whatever
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Sleepless Night

Postby john.whiting » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:42 pm

good way of dealing with trees without the council inspectors getting involved is called "Graslan".....Big risk with trees is the roof and gutters filling with leaves and sticks,and the finer particles from the flowers lodge in every nook and cranny.....The old house in the background is a high risk ...but well away from your property.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:35 pm

Flying embers and crazy high local temperatures and ultra dry conditions are a feature of this episode. Fires are being started by "dry" lightning from Pyrocumulus Clouds that also generate high winds.This is happening on a scale not been seen before . Be careful David. People are losing their lives trying to save their property. Eastern Vic and east of Albury are all on fire. Some of your area has lost power and communications. Nev and Pat.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:17 am

John
Any more information on the Graslan.
I can legally remove 3 trees after my final inspection. Previously I would not have had a problem with a tree removal, however 2 days before my Development Application was to be submitted to Council, our Native Vegetation Act was abolished and a new Act, the Biodiversity Offset Scheme was introduced. The BOS has major implications for rural zoned property. To remove 1 tree (or native grass) meant that I needed a report from a qualified Environmental Consultant who was listed as accredited on the NSW Planning website. After contacting a couple of accredited people I was advised that the report would be about $20,000 (yes $20,000 not a mistake) but that figure would increase if any night surveys were required or if any endangered flora or fauna was found. The legislation also involves a further fee to the state govt to buy biodiversity offsets due to removal of native vegetation. As such I was to say the least, thoroughly pissed off. So I looked at a different system of approval known as Complying Development through a Private Certifier. That was possible if there were no trees within 7m of the building. I also considered other legislation known as the 10-50 rule which applies to existing declared bushfire prone properties. That rule allows removal of any tree within 10m of a habitable building on bushfire prone land, without any approval, provided the building is complete and a valid occupation certificate issued. So I moved my building and altered things a little so that the finished dwelling and shed (which incorporates a studio at the rear which is a habitable room) will be more than 7m from any tree but within 10m of 4 separate trees. To do that I incorporated a pergola on the shed which will be 9.9m from one of those trees. So after I complete the pergola and get a final certificate I can legally remove 3 trees and a further tree when the house is built. It is a loophole that has not yet been recognised. And the joke is that initially I would have been happy with removal of 1 tree, but now 4 will go.
Incidentally approval for tree removal on rural land is not the responsibility of the Council but is NSW State Govt, Dept of Planning. The quality of Aerial (not Ariel) photos they have of the entire state is amazing and they have a computer program to recognise tree removals.
There is also a very dangerous large apple gum in the background to the photo that is more than 10m from the building which I would also love to get rid of. Graslan?
Nev
The main fire near Nowra was started by an arsonist who drove along the River Rd Currowan and started 6 separate fires near the road. The Currowan fire has spread from there. The fire that has affected Bodalla is from lightning strikes. Personally, I would love to see arsonists tried as terrorists, as their actions are no different to those of terrorists.
David

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:44 am

Yes, I'm sure they would not be popular with a lot of people. There's no shortage of them either and the Cops usually know who they are but must be able to make the charge stick. . WE have another 2 months of this left unless we get rain and that's not forecast. Keep safe . Nev

wade.edwards
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby wade.edwards » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:53 am

Pyromaniacs are insane or are actual terrorists. Among other atrocities, ISIS told it's jihadis to light fires in the countries they return to.
All the very best to you and your family and neighbors, David. Stay safe, we need and enjoy your first rate forum contributions. Heck of a nice garage. Well done!
Wade

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:09 am

"Graslan" sounds very Dutch :oops: .

GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby GuyWalton » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:23 am

I would think you will be O.K. there . Even if they did burn they look to be far enough away and not enough of them to cause you too much of a problem .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R

john.mitchell

Postby john.mitchell » Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:00 am

I hope your slightly better news continues, David and that you have a Good New Year after all.
Good Luck!
John
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

Brian_Walker

Postby Brian_Walker » Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:28 pm

I hope all is well with your properties, our kids and grand kids got out of Narooma this morning (woke up and couldn't see for smoke the RFS told them to get out or head to the golf course as surf carnival was cancelled) they left and it them took most of the day to get to Albury because of the Hwy closure, it was also difficult to get fuel in the area with the power outages and servos closed, they are now heading home to Melb.
1951-52 VCH under restoration

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:31 pm

Let us hope that all will be ok for you David. We are all thinking of you, but completely unable to help at this range. If we could, we would and will if we can.

Paul
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 53 ex ISDT KHA (project), 54 KH(A), Healey 1000/4 (project)
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”