Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on an Ariel 2020

Bikes or not. Whatever
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on an Ariel 2020

Postby adrie.degraaff » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:41 am

It will run much better this way, only i used the timingsite cambox breather :D .

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:21 am

adrie.degraaff wrote:It will run much better this way, only i used the timingsite cambox breather :D .

Thanks Adrie, I'll give her a short ride today to see how it works. It was easier to fit it to the drive side, We could do it without removing anything.

Steve

Leslie.Ore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Leslie.Ore » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:22 am

I push cotton wool in the springs,and give them a squirt of oil every so often on the '26.

Leslie.Ore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Leslie.Ore » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:23 am

I push cotton wool in the springs and give them a squirt of oil every so often on my '26.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:49 am

Leslie.Ore wrote:I push cotton wool in the springs and give them a squirt of oil every so often on my '26.

That sounds like a good idea, that sounds like a good idea :D :D

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:30 am

Not much Arieling recently,
2020-07-18 14.01.48-1.jpg

I did one trip to Ireland delivering a small farm truck. One of the farmers on Bere island asked me if I'd ever see an old Mitsubishi Pajero for not much money maybe get it for me. I found one a couple of months ago now but needed things to calm down a bit before driving it over .

I'd left the truck parked up at work but wouldnt start. Flat battery, I borrowed a jump starter from a garrage near my workshop but connecting them to the battery only fired the central locking with both sets of keys on the drivers seat :oops:
With a wire I managed to hook the first set of keys through a gap on the top of door, but they fell off into the door pocket, more successful with the other set :D
Eventually I got her started and after a few miles I got confident the batteries would restart the car.
2020-07-18 08.32.25-1.jpg

I left Saturday eveing but got into trouble at Magor services near the severn bridge, she wouldnt start again.
An Irishman parked near me helped with my jump leads and I was away again.
I'm now thinking its the immobiliser thats causing my grief so as I got to another service station at the end of the M4 I decided to call the AA for advice. I didnt switch of the engine at all whilst I was waiting just in case.
A great guy came out and checked a few things out for me, it was charging ok and thought the immobiliser was the problem. Just keep her going he said and get it on the ferry. If you cant get her started in Rosslare we'll transort her down to Bere Island, just get her on the ferry. I asked if he carried any batterys but said he wouldn't have one that would fit the Pajero, maybe any battery? I said, I have a set of jump leads? I got lucky, he had a perfectly good battery taken out of someones car who had insisted on a new one. He'd even charged it back up. And gave it to me. A very nice man indeed.
So I drove her straight to Fishguard , waived through security and successfully on to the ferry without needing to turn her off. Result.

She started Ok on the ferry so I didn't stop for the entire drive down to Bere Island. That stupid immobiliser won't last long on the Island.

Now to get back home. My Honda Deauville was in the shed, and still in Ireland since last year. I dragged it out but just wouldn't start, battery nearly completely flat but with my Jump leads and the very nice AA mans battery I got her started.

2020-07-19 20.28.34.jpg

Now more fun.

My neighbour traveled out with me from Bere Island on the ferry to his car which is parked at the Poonton. He said goodbye as I got mysef ready for the ride back to Rosslare. What I didnt notice was him panicking running round asking everyone for jump leads, all this was happening behind me.
Then in some kind of vain hope he came up to me and asked if my bike was 12volts. Why I said? Flat battery, I don't suppose you have any jump leads. :D :D lucky thing, I got him was away in 3 minutes flat :lol:

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:12 pm

Another bit of Non_Arieling lately has been making masks, got my old 1927 sewing machine out.
20200725_190608.jpg

It's funny or a bit creepy that the pattern is the shape of a Bat!

I've made them with a hook to go around your ear like glasses.

20200725_190622.jpg

Screenshot_20200725-191349_Samsung Internet.jpg

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Stopped on my way home today at Winchester services for cofee and cake, as you do, :D I walked past a lovely MV Augusta. Very sweet. I can't sit inside anymore with my coffee so found myself a nice sunny grass bank, even had a short nap.
On my way back to my bike I noticed the MV was still parked up but now with a very disappointed rider. Whats up? He was waiting for recovery. He was very worried over a slight oil leak, he said he could see slight evidence of it on his rear mudguard, nothing on the ground at all.
But to be fair his other problem was more concerning, smoke coming up from around his ignition key. Hmmm I said,,,,, Welcome to my word :D :D
Anyway I hope all turns out ok for him

2020-07-29 12.49.18.jpg

2020-07-29 12.48.56.jpg

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:40 pm

Stopped on my way home today at Winchester services for cofee and cake, as you do, :D I walked past a lovely MV Augusta. Very sweet. I can't sit inside anymore with my coffee so found myself a nice sunny grass bank, even had a short nap.
On my way back to my bike I noticed the MV was still parked up but now with a very disappointed rider. Whats up? He was waiting for recovery. He was very worried over a slight oil leak, he said he could see slight evidence of it on his rear mudguard, nothing on the ground at all.
But to be fair his other problem was more concerning, smoke coming up from around his ignition key. Hmmm I said,,,,, Welcome to my world :D :D
Anyway I hope all turns out ok for him.

2020-07-29 12.48.56.jpg

2020-07-29 12.49.18.jpg

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:37 am

I think the smoke from the ignition key area is a little bit bigger problem. :D
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

Return to “Main Chat Forum”