New member, '52 VH500

Bikes or not. Whatever
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: New member, '52 VH500

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:24 pm

I don't think having a 'flame back' is necessarily anything out of the ordinary - I've set the carb (pre-monoblock 289) on fire on my '51 before now and that was in the middle of a long trip (in midwinter - I think several hours in sub-zero temperatures had made my starting technique a tad clumsy and the carb was well flooded).
I seem to remember that the tickler can be a bit 'sticky' sometimes and might need a couple of jiggles/prods to make the float valve shut off again, after flooding.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

PeteL

Postby PeteL » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:58 pm

Hi Alan. (and others)
I've got the auxilliary fuel feed rigged and thefuel tank out of the way.
With the top off the float chamber, float level looks something like your suggestion in relation to the pilot screw.
I like your idea of a tube hitched to the drain srew's theaded hole. But what is the thread size. It looks a lot like 1/4 X26tpi but when I try that size screw in there it does not feel quite right.
Looking at the way the float behaves, I certainly lean towards the "no tickling" or "just a tap" way of approaching it.
Its a detail I just cannot remember from running my '38 Red Hunter, but that was back in the '70s so its not surprising. But from recent ownership of a '47 G80 Matchless, I do not remember any flooding problems or having to be careful about excessive tickling (no sniggering at the back there please)

PeteL

Postby PeteL » Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:38 pm

She lives again !
1/3 ignition, no tickling, produced nothing.
Same settings and just a tap on the float button and 1st serious kick, she roared into life for the first time in about 60 years and even settled to a just slightly fast tickover with no fiddling. I don't know who'd be most pleased, me or the bike.
I'm waiting on news of how my registration application is going. but at least, as soon as that's sorted, she's ready to ride.

chrisf
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby chrisf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:58 pm

Yay, great news... I remember when mine fired up for the first time - amazing feeling, fingers crossed the reg comes through quickly and you'll be good to go
1935 NH350 - 1947 BSA M20 - 1972 Vauxhall Viva - 1972 Austin-Morris J4 Van

alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby alan.moore » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Pete
Glad you got it going
I used a spare blanking screw and drilled it for the pipe, so cannot say for certain what the thread size is.
My '39Vh with the earlier pre monobloc is like yours, from cold no tickle no start, just a couple of quick depressions on tickler and starts easily. I think this is how it should be i.e when warm the fuel level is correct to give a decent tickover but needs lifting just slightly when cold to provide a slightly richer fuel feed.
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

PeteL

Postby PeteL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:50 pm

Thanks

PeteL

Postby PeteL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:28 pm

Fiddling around , sorting out little things on a list that still need doing,
I investigated a noise caused by rear chain when wheel is revolved. Most of the revolution its not there, then there it is.
Close inspection revealed that happens when the chain lik dissapears behind the primary chaincase. A closer look reveals how alarmingly close the chain runs to the back of the chain case.
Its just the small extra width of the spring link's pins that are just catching on the casing.
I must stress that the bike is astonishingly original and has not been run since 1960. Gearbox number accords with factory despatch details.
Its not impossible, but highly unlikely that any jiggery pokery to gearbox sprocket spacing would have been done in its brief use in the 1950's
Is this close clearance normal ?
If theres no other easy solution, I'll just turn the spring link around so that its clip side is facing not outwards as normal, but towards the wheel, and continue on the basis that "a miss is as good as a mile".

will_curry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby will_curry » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Indeed, that is exactly what's recommended in the User Guide.

I've also found that modern spring links are appreciably thicker than
the originals and more prone to touch the 'case.

With my rigid single I've managed to space out the chaincase enough
for original spring links not to touch without having the clutch and
primary chain rub inside th 'case.

ian.scott

Postby ian.scott » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:08 pm

I'm sure my handbook ( which is currently on loan) says the link should always be placed with the removable plate on the inside of the chain so it doesn't hit the case.

Ian

PeteL

Postby PeteL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Thanks Guys, that's great to know! Its stil an amazingly close clearance.
And yet another thing I do not remember from my '38 350, but of course that had a different gearbox, so the chain run may have been a little different.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”