fitting knee pads over new plates from Drags.

Bikes or not. Whatever
DaveCorey

fitting knee pads over new plates from Drags.

Postby DaveCorey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:11 pm

Good Day again to All. I have new plates from Drags to install the knee pads, I have deburred the edges on my sandbelt and heated up the rubber and added dish soap to edges to slip better but no luck getting them over the plate, I think I have to remove some metal on the plates.... anyone have some thoughts on this subject??? Thanks, Dave.

Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: fitting knee pads over new plates from Drags.

Postby Knud.Degnbol » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:19 pm

Dish washing soap is not good. It contains a lot of salt, causing rust. You must neither use it to mount tyres for the same reason.

alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby alan.moore » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:20 pm

Dave
Give us a clue as to which type of plate/knee grip you are working with?

I've just finished fitting some repro (not Drags) 48-53 type rubbers (5082-48) to some original 5085/86-37 plates on my WNG. I needed to remove about 1/8" from the top 'curve' of the plate to get the rubbers to sit flush to the tank profile (although the rubbers fitted onto the plates OK without this) . I also heated up the top section of the rubber knee grips with a hot airgun, 'folded' them over and held them with some strapping to adjust their profile whilst they cooled down. This helped to bring the top edges into contact with the tank when fitted.

SDC13275.JPG

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

DaveCorey

Postby DaveCorey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:09 pm

Thank for replies, it is a Ariel vh 500 1951. repop plates and rubbers.I also had to shim the plates with washers to have room for the lips of the pad to fit under. I have removed more than 1/16 " from parts of the plates and still not going on so will remove more and try again. if at first we don't succeed, we try again.....cheers!

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:14 pm

try silicone spray i use it for fitting rubber parts that are tight to fit or pledge furniture polish that has got lots of silicone in it :)

alan.moore

Postby alan.moore » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:51 pm

dave,
Re the plates being too close to the tank to get the lips to fit under I just bent the plate outwards around the circumference to give enough space.
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

DaveCorey

Postby DaveCorey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:15 am

Thanks Alan, I had shimmed the plates to have room for the lips and ground the plates a little at a time till I could get the pads on, now I have the same problem as you the top is open so I will strap them and heat with the heat gun and see if that works. If not I will resort to 3M glue products and scrap the plates completely. These restorations always present challenges and it is reassuring to hear from others who have ran into the same problems, again, many thanks, regards, Dave.

Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:19 am

Warmed up rubber is easier to get onto the plates. If the plates are too near to the tank for the rubber thickness then you need to use washers as shims to move the plates out. Repro rubber is often not the right thickness.

Another angle... (purists look away now) is to make 2 small vertical slits in the rubber where the screws are. Then you mount the rubbers on the plates and then secure them to the tank, the slits will usually close up more or less.
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1 http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/ArielVH_1938
1927 Triumph Model N http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/TriumphModelN
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer Mk2 (ABS) http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/MotoGuzziV7RacerMk2
1954 VeloLE

AOMCC Member 3400

Return to “Main Chat Forum”