Building up a shaft

Bikes or not. Whatever
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Building up a shaft

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon May 11, 2020 3:41 pm

HI Luis that is a nice ripide-lime hand shaper a good little tool to have i have had them years ago and bench top mills wen we used to buy a lot of tooling and machines etc 8-) 8-) :)

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon May 11, 2020 5:09 pm

Do people use shapers any more? We had one at school (I left school in 1979) but I can't recall seeing one since...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon May 11, 2020 5:56 pm

HI Simon i have got 2 old shapers but i have not used them in a few years i go to 2 old engineering firms that still use them i use a gang miller or a cnc 8-)

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Mon May 11, 2020 9:08 pm

To answer your question Simon I am sure it is yes, years ago when we sold off old manually operated machine tools via an auction, at scrap metal prices, they were snapped up by countries such as India, Africa etc.. I am sure that they are still producing.

John P.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Mon May 11, 2020 10:06 pm

HI John you are right we went up north to buy out all machines and tooling the bigger the better and trailers that can carry 100 tons or more then in the south firms started to closing down and we was down their buying most of the big machines and trailers went to india and africa and the rest that no one wanted we would scrap they use to send us lists of what they wonted i would not like to think how many 100 of tons we have sent them :shock:

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue May 12, 2020 4:09 am

I've got a nice Douglas shaper that would be handy if I put a dividing head on it. I replaced the Part that wears. I WAS going to use it mainly for cutting key ways internally. Probably worth nothing. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Tue May 12, 2020 4:41 am

Not so ,Nev ,there is a considerable demand for small workshop machines like the Douglas and the Hercus lathes.,and small milling machines too.......The big stuff is whats hard to shift......the Indians dont buy manual machines anymore either ,all CNC suitable for retrofit.

jj.palmer

Postby jj.palmer » Sat May 16, 2020 10:45 am

Have made an improved sighting for the protractor, base on the gun sight principle, the original had a problem from parallax.

John P.
Attachments
S6006304.JPG
S6006307.JPG

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat May 16, 2020 11:02 am

Potentially, I am pleased to say that I am about finished with this shaft, having got it to fit yesterday.

IMG_20200515_120232.jpg

I've made a few observations on blog post I've written about it, but one might be of interest to you John.

Thanks for the excellent write up and pictures on your indexing / spline cutting equipment. One of the most important things I observed on my last attempt was related to tool height - it's absolutely critical to get the tool in the same position if you have to regrind part way through a splining job. Maybe, if I had made a clapper box I wouldn't have chipped the tool; maybe, if I had cut a run-out in the shaft, I wouldn't have chipped the tool.

Question for you though John - does the hinge on your clapper box allow the tool tip height to vary much?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat May 16, 2020 11:53 am

The tool chips from stopping in the cut ....a relief is needed so the tool tip is not overloaded.....A clapper box reduces wear from drag ,not significant on a small volume of metal removal.........Ive also noticed that Chinese HSS is not much good ,compared to the old time favourites like Poldi Stahl ,or Fagersta Werke., or Jessops made by BSA.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”