Building up a shaft

Bikes or not. Whatever
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Building up a shaft

Postby john.whiting » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:30 am

Talking of cutting splines on a lathes ,the army used to have small portable milling drives that fitted the lathe bed ,called IIRC a Millrite...or something like ......Ive also see ones made for very large lathes ,so that keyways ,for instance,could be cut in a workpiece without using a second machine and setup...One of these things might be worth building for your machine......Cutting using the saddle handwheel sounds like a PITA to me.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:39 am

How are you indexing the splines? The proper (expensive) way or some trick way. You'd want them tight to last long. Nev

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:07 am

IMG_20200423_151344.jpg

I use a peg, fitting tightly into the gap between two gear teeth. The gear is fixed to a mandrel on the lathe spindle; the peg is held on a bracket on the headstock.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

GuyWalton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby GuyWalton » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:47 am

You know the old saying Simon . Measure twice cut once . You have done a great job though .
51 mk1 Areil Square Four
55 DB 500 BSA Gold Star
55 Matchless G9
67 BSA B44
06 Ducati 999R

Eero.Korhonen
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:34 am

Those Honda people are so weird!
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:39 am

Those splines that you have cut look very good, now making progress.

I have taken your idea of spline cutting incorperated other features from that of a manualy operated shaping machine such as the leverage to apply the cutting force and the clapper box arrangement and I am now in the process making a spline cutting attachment for the lathe, currently on hold awaiting some welding wire but will post when finished.

Splines, serrations, gear teeth etc. normally are defined in standard sizes therefore the number of splines you get is a combination of the selected spline size and the diameter that they are wrapped around eg if the diameter had been slightly smaller then you would have got 30 splines

John P.

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:48 am

jj.palmer wrote:Those splines that you have cut look very good, now making progress.

I have taken your idea of spline cutting incorporated other features from that of a manually operated shaping machine such as the leverage to apply the cutting force and the clapper box arrangement and I am now in the process making a spline cutting attachment for the lathe, currently on hold awaiting some welding wire but will post when finished.

Splines, serrations, gear teeth etc. normally are defined in standard sizes therefore the number of splines you get is a combination of the selected spline size and the diameter that they are wrapped around e.g. if the diameter had been slightly smaller then you would have got 30 splines

John P.

Thanks John. I've decided that if/when I do another one, I will add some sort of lever arrangement to the compound slide or maybe to the carriage, to avoid turning the carriage handwheel - so please share your ideas when you are ready!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 am

Simes
I feel for you. The worst part is that you have a nice finished part that cannot be a wall hanging, as you built the splines on an existing shaft. Otherwise it would have made a good wall hanging.
Did you cut the splines with a HSS cutter. I tried a similar thing a while ago with a tungsten cutter and as soon as I reversed the hand wheel it broke the tip off. Lesson learnt.
David

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:49 am

It'll be OK David. I'll just build it up again, hopefully this weekend.

I've ordered a cheap 62 tooth gear that I will adapt to divide the 31 serrations, so I can see the way forward. It was only a few quid, so if its accurate enough then I will have saved myself the time to make one.

I've got carbide RH and LH turning tools, plus a boring bar - everything else is HSS. I cut this serrated shaft with a 60 degree HSS tool.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

jj.palmer

Postby jj.palmer » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:28 am

I have opted to move the carriage back and forth with the thought that the total weight of the carriage will add momentum to the cutting force.

John P.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”