Building up a shaft

Bikes or not. Whatever
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Building up a shaft

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:23 pm

As an aside, and I wish I had discovered this weeks ago, Honda used a DIN standard serrated shaft. This drawing matches it exactly.

image261.gif

Ho hum. Half of the pleasure is in the learning.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Sun May 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Have now finished the lathe attachment for cutting splines etc. although primarily I have made it to cut the teeth on gears for old mechanical clocks, one of my other interests.

The setup comprises of :
1 Infinite indexing via a large diameter 360 degree protractor through a reduction gear.
2 Clamping of the chuck to eliminate any rotation of the part whilst cutting.
3 High ratio linkage to apply the cutting force.
4 Tool holder incorperating a clapper box to allow the cutting tool to lift on its return stroke, the cutting tool is made from HSS 6mm diameter, and, yes that is a rubber band.
5 Carriage rack removed to eliminate resistance to the linkage cutting stroke, a 2 minute job.

See pics.

Please, do not scrutinize the welding.

John P.
Attachments
S6006225.JPG
S6006227.JPG
S6006231.JPG
S6006233.JPG
S6006234.JPG

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun May 03, 2020 6:18 pm

HI That is a good idea to put it in gear and rock it i will try that i just pull the clutch in and kick it down and then try and start it 8-) :)

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon May 04, 2020 9:59 am

IF the top of the kicker pinion teeth (not the quadrant ) get rounded off it binds much more often. The quadrant has a 1/2 tooth to lead it in. It's not he first tooth damaged.. Ie when they are new they work much better. It's always a good idea to pull the clutch in till the gear meshes and then apply force rather than kicking down when it's not yet engaged. IF your pinion has the top of the teeth rounded you can CAREFULLY make them more pointed with an angle grinder and thin disc or a tool and cutter grinder if you are more fussy, but don't do much more than the tips of the teeth. Nev

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon May 04, 2020 11:13 am

nevhunter wrote:IF the top of the kicker pinion teeth (not the quadrant ) get rounded off it binds much more often. The quadrant has a 1/2 tooth to lead it in. It's not he first tooth damaged.. Ie when they are new they work much better. It's always a good idea to pull the clutch in till the gear meshes and then apply force rather than kicking down when it's not yet engaged. IF your pinion has the top of the teeth rounded you can CAREFULLY make them more pointed with an angle grinder and thin disc or a tool and cutter grinder if you are more fussy, but don't do much more than the tips of the teeth. Nev

These are the teeth on my W/NG, the one which sometimes jams:

kickstart pinion.jpg

What do you think Nev?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon May 04, 2020 11:20 am

jj.palmer wrote:Have now finished the lathe attachment for cutting splines etc. although primarily I have made it to cut the teeth on gears for old mechanical clocks, one of my other interests.

The setup comprises of :
1 Infinite indexing via a large diameter 360 degree protractor through a reduction gear.
2 Clamping of the chuck to eliminate any rotation of the part whilst cutting.
3 High ratio linkage to apply the cutting force.
4 Tool holder incorperating a clapper box to allow the cutting tool to lift on its return stroke, the cutting tool is made from HSS 6mm diameter, and, yes that is a rubber band.
5 Carriage rack removed to eliminate resistance to the linkage cutting stroke, a 2 minute job.

John P.

Looks great John. the mechanism between the LHS of the headstock and the protractor looks interesting, what is going on in there? and what is the black painted guard over the tacho display?

I like the clapper box. I guess that is pivoting on the rearmost, centre tool clamp screw?

I guess the operating lever is connected to the carriage clamp screw hole? How is it clamped to the bed?

I guess the disc you are using for the chuck clamp is sandwiched between the chuck and the drive flange?

You might want to make a Youtube video or something - I haven't seen much on folk converting their mini-lathes in this way. since my next attempt will be the fourth serrated shaft I have cut this year, it looks like this is going to be a mod I do as well.

Thanks for sharing.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon May 04, 2020 12:57 pm

Yes Simon, they are bad enough to cause the problem. i'd try for a new one or since you are able, build up with something tough and reprofile with a sharp tip on each. Nev.

jj.palmer

Postby jj.palmer » Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 pm

The mini-lathe Simon is so simple in construction that it lends its self so easily to modifications, unlike the more complex lathes.
One thing I did miss posting was the clamp plate to stop the toolpost from rotating whilst under the cutting force, see pic.

Two quick answers :
The black screen is simply to stop the lathes overhead light from reflecting onto the tacho reading so that I can read it more easily.
Yes, the clamping disc is sandwiched between the chuck and the spindle flange, made from thin sheet to allow it to flex ie not to influenze the clamping unit or the chuck when clamped.

To answer the other questions I'll make a sketch of the mods. and post it, it will explain the hidden detail, not much else to do in this lockdown.

John P.
Attachments
S6006239.JPG

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon May 04, 2020 1:15 pm

John,

I was looking at the blog post I wrote on my CX500 splined indicator stems, and noticed I made these with the tailstock centre lending support.

It strikes me that I will need to think about positioning the operating lever so that it works around (or under?) the tailstock.

Good thought on the anti-rotation stop, by the way.
Last edited by simon.holyfield on Mon May 04, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon May 04, 2020 1:16 pm

nevhunter wrote:Yes Simon, they are bad enough to cause the problem. i'd try for a new one or since you are able, build up with something tough and reprofile with a sharp tip on each. Nev.

Thanks Nev. i was going to buy a new one from gearbox spares, but since i am about to retire (with attendant reduction in income) maybe I will DIY!

What overlay material would you suggest?
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A

Return to “Main Chat Forum”