Building up a shaft

Bikes or not. Whatever
nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Building up a shaft

Postby nevhunter » Sat May 16, 2020 12:35 pm

There's an enormous variation in the quality of High Speed Steel. I think my best is eclipse just going from memory as I'm not in the shed this time of night. Rigidity is the answer to much tool point chipping. If things can flex they will dig in. Nev

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sat May 16, 2020 12:51 pm

I realised after a while, looking at another example of a Honda k/s shaft that their serrations must be rolled in, so about half way through this one I made a suitable undercut. No more chips.

Every day is a school day. Even in isolation.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

jj.palmer
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby jj.palmer » Sun May 17, 2020 11:21 am

Simon, the clapper box hinge ie pivot pin, performs two functions :
1 It allows the cutting tool to be loosely dragged back along the work piece surface to avoid wear of the cutting tool tip, as per John W.
2 It supports the lateral force exerted from the cutting tool, hence, that is why it is screwed down tightly.

The up/down movement of the cutting tool is controlled by the adjustment screw, see pic, it should be adjusted and locked to give, say 0.025 mm (0.001 inch) clearance, more than one adjustment screw can be fitted if necessary.
The shape of spline, gear etc. cutting tools are normally equal about their centre line and so once the tool has entered the work piece the up/down forces are also equal, therefore, the tool tends to stay in a straight line.

Regarding the use of HSS or carbide, it has been my experience that when intermittent cutting ie turning, slotting, broaching etc, HSS is preferred as it has more "flexibility" than carbide and is therefore less likely to fracture.
At one time I was involved in the design and manufacture of broaches used to cut the firtree slots in aero engine turbine discs that hold the blades, those broaches were always made of HSS for the same reason.

Well, thats my ramble over, shan't now have to go for that walk today :D

John P.

Mharisbarton

Postby Mharisbarton » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:15 pm

I would definitely not use silver steel for a kickstart shaft, or any safety critical shaft ie, wheel spindle, girder fork spindle etc,it has totally the wrong structure for these applications, especially when heat treated,much better to use En24T, En16T, En32orEn36 which I use for gudgeon pins and cam followers.regards, Matt Barton.

Mharisbarton

Postby Mharisbarton » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:39 pm

I definitely wouldn't use silver steel for a kickstart shaft or any safety critical applications ie wheel spindle, girder fork spindle,stand hinge pins etc.EN24in the T condition, EN16T.case hardening steels EN32 or EN36 which I use to make gudgeon pins and cam followers from.silver steel has the wrong properties for these applications.regards, Matt Barton.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”