Back numbers of Cheval

Bikes or not. Whatever
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Back numbers of Cheval

Postby david.anderson » Thu May 07, 2020 4:15 am

Quality is plenty good enough, and above all I appreciate the effort that is being put in to enable members access so many of our older Chevals.
thanks again
David

alan.moore

Postby alan.moore » Mon May 11, 2020 3:26 pm

As David says..spot on on my computer
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby john.mitchell » Mon May 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Good question, Johnny- I don't know. I joined in the early 1970's but I didn't bother keeping copies of Cheval back then. Whenever I have come across old copies I have picked them up but the oldest I have in Jan 1975. Does anyone else know when Cheval began?
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Mon May 11, 2020 8:37 pm

The earliest edition of Cheval in the AOMCC archives is from September 1957. On the cover it says "Volume 2 No 11" but how you interpret that to give a date for the first issue is anyone's guess.
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

pete.collings
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby pete.collings » Wed May 20, 2020 11:37 pm

For those of you with nothing much to do during lockdown, scanned copies of Cheval back to the start of 2000 are now viewable in the Cheval repository in the members section of the website. Having scanned and uploaded these, it is now onward and backwards (is this an oxymoron?)to the 20th century.
The scans are mostly of two page format, so there is some marking in the region of the central crease of the magazine, but as I don't want to damage my copies of Cheval, that was accepted as it also reduces the download size of the file, which once downloaded into Acrobat reader (or a similar pdf reader) should still be word searchable via the view/find menu.
Although I have not been reading the copies before scanning (the task would never be completed otherwise!), it is interesting to see the number of adverts in the For Sale/Wanted section, in comparison to current Chevals, an idication of the move to online sales/auction sites and social media selling.
Also interesting to see the prices being asked, if you ever wandered if an Ariel was an investment?

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Thu May 21, 2020 12:34 am

Thanks Pete - good work!

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Thu May 21, 2020 10:24 am

HI I think i have got some from the late 60s wen i got my last ariel about 4 years ago it nice to see cheval has been going for so long 8-) :D and wen did the Ariel forum stat :?: i see a lot of members go back to 2011 wen you look wen they joined :?:

Dave.Barkshire

Postby Dave.Barkshire » Thu May 21, 2020 3:09 pm

2011 sounds about right for the forum.

The online material on the club site started just a few years before that (knowledgebase, document repository, Cheval repository, Arieldrome). I think 2006.
1938 Ariel Red Hunter VH1 http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/ArielVH_1938
1927 Triumph Model N http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/TriumphModelN
2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer Mk2 (ABS) http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/images/MotoGuzziV7RacerMk2
1954 VeloLE

AOMCC Member 3400

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Fri May 22, 2020 12:06 pm

Thank you dave i know the AOMCC was started at the ACE cafe but that was all i new about the club till i joined the club and i think it was the best thing i did 8-) :D :D :D KEEP SAFE

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:50 pm

For those of you with time on your hands during lockdown, another decade of Cheval copies is now available in the members section of the AOMCC website. All of the 90s (120 copies) are there, in a similar layout to the previous copies, and although not perfect copies all the text and photographs are easily viewable and text searchable once downloaded. The quality of the photographs is variable, but this is more to do with the originals than the scanning process. Note that the January 1991 Cheval is a 40th anniversary edition, containg items from the (then) 40 years of the club, and is considerably larger than normal.
I will continue to scan Chevals going back in time, but as the format and layout of the magazine had changed over the years, the scans may differ from what can presently been seen.There are plans for some form of indexing of articles of interest, so that you can easily locate specific topics, but this is still in progress, as it currently refers to Cheval copies not yet scanned and uploaded.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”