Back numbers of Cheval

Bikes or not. Whatever
will_curry
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Back numbers of Cheval

Postby will_curry » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:54 pm

Thanks Pete for an exceptional job with the scanning.

I've just found time to look closer at what you've achieved. I'd expected a collection
of scanned page images in a PDF wrapper and I was partly correct. What I hadn't
expected was the embedded text. It looks like extremely good OCR.

These PDFs (or at least those few I've looked at so far) seem to be similar enough in format
to those which come from the printer each month for me to be able to expand the existing
process so they can be added to the collection of Chevals which are searchable.

So, how did you manage it?

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:22 pm

Hi Will
Thanks for looking at expanding the list of searchable topics using the scanned copies of Cheval.

There is nothing magic about how I have scanned the Chevals, I redeployed an old Windows 7 Computer (no longer supported by Microsoft!) and linked it to a decent scanner that I had previously bought to digitise the several hundred colour slides that my late father had accumulated since the mid 1940s, he was into colour photography in the earlier days as a hobby, rather than professionally, making up all the processing solutions himself, in the days when you could buy the chemicals needed via your local chemists shop!
I needed a scanner with the attachments to hold the slides, or possibly colour negative film, and with the capability of scanning up to 2400dpi should I want to make an enlarged copy of a slide.
So it was relatively easy to use it with the pdf scanning/OCR sortware, in the up to date version, to scan the Cheval copies, with resolution set at the 300dpi level as needed for the OCR conversion. I also set a text enhancement option to aid the process. The program automatically creates a searchable pdf file, I just keep scanning the pages until all in the edition have been recorded, and then execute the conversion process.
The process is now a routine operation, but needs concentration to ensure the correct page size is selected for two page scans, and that all pages are scanned in sequence, so I do not scan too many Cheval copies at any one time.

will_curry

Postby will_curry » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Thanks for the info. We too have a couple of machines running obsolete operating systems
to support ancient hardware and software which won't run on anything more modern
but is still indispensable. Just don't connect it to the internet . . .

I've a couple of projects to finish before I can realistically get round to modifying the searching
process to include your scans so please be patient but it will happen sometime, all being well.

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:57 pm

Well, another decade of Chevals have now been scanned and uploaded to the Cheval repository, covering the 80s
A few comments on the scans:
There ws no October 1980 Cheval issued, but for the sake of competeness, I have scanned a message to that effect, and included it in the repository listings.
The method I use for scanning is to scan in portrait format, and set the software to rotate the image 90 degrees clockwise so it appears in landscape format. However, in a very few scans where the text or diagram is printed vertically instead of horizontally, the software proceeds to rotate the page so as it appears upside down. The rest of the scanned copy is as normal. If it is needed to view this inverted image, it can be downloaded from the site and opened in a pdf reader (eg. Adobe Acrobat) where it can be rotated upright and enlarged if needed.
The earlier Chevals were not of the high standards of appearance as current issues, although this was quite acceptable for the time. Thus there may be faint print where articles submitted are inserted unchaged, and occasional misalignment of text where the central stapling is slightly out of line.
There are also a few crease marks appearing, this is when I attended club night on my Ariel, and had to fold the Cheval copy to fit inside my jacket.
Finally, on a couple of occasions I forgot to reduce the scan area for the rear page, but didn't feel inclined to rescan the whole issue for the sake of information that is still readibly readable (details of club officials)

Moving back to the 70s, pre 1975 the format of Cheval was more broadsheet than A5 booklet, so I will have to destaple to scan to avoid damaging the original copies.

pete.collings

Postby pete.collings » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:54 pm

I have now scanned and uploaded all the Cheval copies I have available, from autumn 1971 when I joined the AOMCC.
In these earlier years, there are a number of copies missing, I was at university at the time, so may have lost or mislaid copies whilst travelling between Swansea and Cardiff. I will endeavour to locate and borrow missing copies to scan, but don't know what level of success I might have, so anything prior to 1971 could be problematical.
I have great admiration for the people involved in the production and issue of Cheval in the early 70s, pages produced from a stencil and then manually collated and stapled together, for several hundres members. As a result, there are some errors in both the page distribution, where an obvious duplicate page was included, I have omitted this from the scan, but cannot produce missing pages! I have also tried to correct misplaced or incorrect page order, and allow for variable typing by the then editors who had to rely on a typewriter and sometimes a worn typewriter ribbon. It makes you realise how fortunate we are these days with wordprocessing and publishing software.
So apologies for any errors that I might have missed. I tried to skim through each copy after scanning to look for interesting articles, but there was too much to take in, I just tried to check for any scanning errors.
It seems that various Covid lockdowns will be continuing for some time yet, so there is plenty of time to read them at leisure. I will also have to look at amending the existing article index that goes right back to the 50s, but that is another task that perhaps someone else might like ti help with?

will_curry

Postby will_curry » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:05 pm

Pete,

PM on its way.

Will

john.bebb
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby john.bebb » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:56 am

Johnny - I know it was around in '72 & '73 but how long before that I can't advise...

Return to “Main Chat Forum”