Vid on Indian girder forks

Bikes or not. Whatever
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Vid on Indian girder forks

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:26 pm

:roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ3IxKi ... e=youtu.be

Dont you ever buy one of those or buy a bike with one…..
it will kill you.

:shock:

chris.vredenbregt
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Vid on Indian girder forks

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:40 pm

The problem starts when you buy a bike with one of those on it and you cannot see the difference with an original one
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:27 pm

HI That is a good video on not to buy Indian girder forks they are a right death trap to put on your bike :? :shock: :x

admin

Postby admin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:40 am

Yeah, I saw that.
I'm a bit of a fan of Craig and his shed.

It's a shame that the Indian girders are bad and orginals are expensive and virtually unobtainium.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

T Batnes
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby T Batnes » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:55 am

These guys makes and repairs girder forks, quality stuff it seems - and surely at a price. But if you cannot get an original fork, this may be the only way. https://www.jake-robbins-vintage-engineering.co.uk/
Ariel W/NG '40 "Bitzer", Triumph Thruxton '04, IZH-49 '56, Tempo Standard 150 '54.

andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:34 am

The Slovacs make some nice vintage forks and also there is somebody in N.Z making webs.but at todays costs not 1920 prices.so no good for the cheapskates and moaners, buy Indian and risk your life,or if you don't ride it does not matter only for the poor sod who buys it to ride.The quality of some of the early Indian stuff was good but it seems more and more stuff is available and the quality has gone down for profit.

admin

Postby admin » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 am

I've had levers, mudguards chainguards, toolboxes and tanks from India.
The levers were pretty good but everything else required fettling to fit it correctly (or in some cases couldn't quite get it to fit right with the skills I have.. ). Sometimes, it's only minor fitting changes and sometimes much more - it varies so much

Yes, I'd have have paid more for something made correctly, which fitted, but it many cases it just isn't available or the wait would run to over a year (or more). Yes, i could spend my life trawling ebay, autojumbles and asking about for an original (probably in a bad way) with or without result.

My expectations are low, of the Indian things, along with the price.
And it's these factors which keep these sellers going - I know there is a high chance it's going to require messing with and I accept that as it's cheap and available. On the occasions, it's a good part then I am very happy.

I wouldn't trust electrical or mechanical parts from India, but sometimes its hard to know the origin of everything you buy in the UK.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:24 am

Ditto on the low expectations, John but we can cover ourselves buying through eBay because of their guarantee:
“Shop with Confidence- Get the item you ordered or your money back”.
eBay is interpreting their statement to mean that if the item is poorly crafted and is not as shown in the advertising, the seller is on the hook. Perhaps this is how sellers will become more responsible for better craftsmanship.
A dialogue with the seller regarding expectations before buying puts the onus on the seller and eBay has a record of it.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:33 am

The Indian made Enfields seem to go OK.. Some of the stuff we get from there is made the hard way. By hand with thousands of little hammer marks. they have access to CNC machines etc as all do and if the right material is used the product can be identical.. English Chrome was equal to the world's best once . The CZ stuff seems a good quality effort. Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:05 am

There is plenty of quality Indian made products .....Ive been using Perkins diesel spares made in India since the 1960s.....Bosch produce all the mechanical fuel injection equiptment in India.Probably all the Lucas stuff too ,as Bosch own Lucas............The big difference is none of these companies have greedy ,crooked middlemen taking a 1,000% profit on junk made as cheaply as possible .......if any of you have experience with replica Harley spares made in India and imported to the US by reputable suppliers ,you would know most of it is equal to the old US made product( so good in fact its hard to tell replica from genuine) .....and cheaper than the ebay junk too.....Before the post /freight went skyhigh ,I ordered a set of 1941 U replica guards,perfect in every detail ,and cost a lot less than the ebay britbike replica junk .....Dont buy off tricksters and expect a fair deal ...simple.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”