Identify a ariel

Bikes or not. Whatever
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Identify a ariel

Postby tony.barnett » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Looks like WNG to me, maybe with added or updated parts. And the XG frame number would be right. So 1941.

If it was me I'd drop Bennet Longman a note with the pictures and ask him if he thinks that there would be problems dating it and getting a V5C from DVLA - he is the best man to ask.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC
Honda C70ZZ
The Offroad Fleet - Fantic 200, Bultaco Pursang, Beta Rev 3

patrick.robotham

Postby patrick.robotham » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:46 pm

My guess is this is a WNG frame which has had some different bits used on it over the years. XG is WNG or 1939 NH. No idea why the engine has no prefix number. if WNG is should be BH, see if you can find a witness for it. Also look for signs that the war dept side stand lug , left and side just under seat has been ground off. that would prove it to be a WNG. I dont know but it may be that batches of war dept engines were produced without prefix letters, if not it would not be too difficult to retsamp the letters on the engine as the frame number shown looks fine to me.

Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Identify an Ariel

Postby Pete.Silson » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:35 am

According to the book "British Forces Motorcycles 1925-1945" by Orchard & Maddon, the frame number XG12013 is from a batch of WNGs delivered between July and December 1940. The batch frame numbers were: XG11186-XG13285, XG13554-XG14153 and the associated engine numbers: BH600-BH3299.

Pete

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:31 am

W/NG frames ALL have a unique "bend" downwards a few inches behind the seat downtube in both frame elements going to the rear axle. That's how the frame gets it's extra ground clearance.. Nev

ClaytonDingle

Postby ClaytonDingle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:11 pm

Thank for all the replays so from what pete is say its ex British forces and the frame number reflects that so I'm assuming that there wouldn't be any problem getting a v5 if I went ahead and purchased the bike
Regards clayton

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:38 pm

Clayton - are you saying it doesn't have a reg. no and it's never been on the DVLA computer? It doesn't look like a bike that hasn't been ridden for 40-odd years, although looks can be deceptive.
(I'm quite into unregistered old vehicles at the moment, owing to having an MGB with no docs and no registration number, only the correct original chassis number.)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

ClaytonDingle

Postby ClaytonDingle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:01 pm

Yes I am saying there is no paperwork for the bike and no number plate so will have to go through the process of have to sort it out if I can negotiate a price to reflect this

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:03 am

I'd be very wary. The frame numbers are never on a flat ground surface. The X has been redone. It generally looks as if it was/is a W/NG. The earlier ones had rubber mounted tapered handlebars. Nev

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:29 am

I agree with Nev, there is the clipplate at the rear forks so it is a WNG altered, there are several reasons to do this,
1; they altered to a 1939 road model.
2; it didn't have papers so they used other papers.
3; it was (found).

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:47 am

When I took my 1950 ES2 for rego many years ago ,the MRD guy wasnt prepared to accept the number stamped on the frame .....fortunately ,his supervisor knew Nortons,and said does the number look like its stamped by a drunk?....The inspector said "yes"......super says .."Its OK then.".....And it was I read some years later that "Pop" ,the old guy who stamped the frame numbers in the pre AMC era ,used to swig frequently from a big bottle of strong smelling "Chest Mixture"......mostly rum.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”