Doing my first restoration - couple first questions

Bikes or not. Whatever
cmattina

Doing my first restoration - couple first questions

Postby cmattina » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:14 pm

Hello all.

I am restoring a non-matching numbers 1952 NH350 Rigid. I am on a bit of a budget (otherwise i'd be restoring something different, i.e. a matching numbers 500 plunger). Essentially, I am looking at building a mostly original daily driver, not a concourse museum piece.

I am planning on having the frame powdercoated in in a semi gloss black for around $250-300CAD. My other option is to paint it with 50 bucks of canned spray paint... this could come out looking very decent, so i am not sure if spending the extra money will be worth it.

The frame i am using is in quite nice shape, but someone over the years has welded some sort of bracket underneath where the seat goes. Should I cut this off and smooth out the edge before powder coating, or leave it? Picture attached.

I guess i am curious because I do not know if the bracket serves a use. I could of course cut it off AFTER powdercoating if I am so inclined, and then touch it up with paint... but, that would be less than ideal.
Attachments
20200719_085957.jpg

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Doing my first restoration - couple first questions

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:34 pm

I'd remove that before painting. Have you got a picture of how it should look? The two tabs carry the voltage regulator.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:36 pm

cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

RalphM

Postby RalphM » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:33 pm

If your pointing to what I think you are its were the voltage reg goes.

cmattina

Postby cmattina » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:37 pm

Thanks Simon,

If i cut the bracket If i would likely go flush with the cross tube and then smooth it out with a grinder of some sort.

As you can see in the pic (attached), i don't think any tabs will remain after cutting it off.

I had been told it is for the voltage regulator, but it did not click for me as i didn't realize how big the regulator is/was. I would likely be mounting a modern regulator in a appropriate place, but I am not picky HOW it mounts. I am tempted to leave the bracket actually if it may serve a purpose...
Attachments
20200719_102338.jpg

Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Mick D » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:57 pm

Hi

I'd cut the plate off and dress back the welds.

With regard to the frame finish, rattle cans can produce a great result providing you have the facilities to prepare the component(s) before applying them. Do you have a means of mechanically or chemically treating the frame to remove the rust? If not I'd go for the powder coat option.

Regards Mick

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:01 pm

How about cutting it so it leaves a couple of tabs (welded to the cross tube) sticking up?
Would look pretty much like original and with a couple of new holes drilled I'd think you could mount a regulator without any problems (the original tabs aren't very high - and modern regs need less room).

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

cmattina

Postby cmattina » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Mick D wrote:Hi

I'd cut the plate off and dress back the welds.

With regard to the frame finish, rattle cans can produce a great result providing you have the facilities to prepare the component(s) before applying them. Do you have a means of mechanically or chemically treating the frame to remove the rust? If not I'd go for the powder coat option.

Regards Mick

I do have most of the tools required for blasting. And the rust looks worse in the pics than it actually is. but... I'd be doing it in the backyard with a hazmat suit and the tools i am using may have issues (moisture, etc.). I live in a small town, so no neighbours wouldn't care. Not sure it would be worth the effort.

The powdercoaters is a 6 hours drive away, and i am passing through in a couple days, so need to make up my mind... I essentially need to commit to one of the other. Cannot really start painting with a Plan B of powdercoating, as i don't know the next time ill be near a place that does it.

cmattina

Postby cmattina » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:21 pm

Simon.Gardiner wrote:How about cutting it so it leaves a couple of tabs (welded to the cross tube) sticking up?
Would look pretty much like original and with a couple of new holes drilled I'd think you could mount a regulator without any problems (the original tabs aren't very high - and modern regs need less room).

SG

Are you suggesting I cut everything and leave two tabs as seen in the red blocks in the attached photo?

do you have a recommendation in size (distance between two tabs)

To be honest, i am starting to think i may just leave it to make mounting a modern regulator easier. As far as I know, modern regs mount flush and are not on tabs.
Attachments
20200719_102338.jpg

RalphM

Postby RalphM » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:10 pm

Find a non working reg fillet if and mount the solid state one inside?

Return to “Main Chat Forum”