it's hot out there

Bikes or not. Whatever
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Golden Anorak

it's hot out there

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:57 am

Had a nice week out in the North, Lauwersoog and surrounds.
Making trips through villages with names like: Moddergat (Mudhole) Kleine Huizen (Litlle Houses) Broek (Trousers) Drieboerenhuizen (Threefarmershouses)etc.
Yesterday on the ride back home trusty NG gave up near Wolvega, magneto got to hot....
Took two hours of cooling down, which was -luckely- spent at the rear of a service station with a icecream and cold water :D
If you want to see how flat Holland is ....:

IMG_6174.JPG
in the distance island of Schiermonnikoog

IMG_6190 (2).JPG
Near Westerlee, enlarging the pic shows that windmills are being constructed, a crane just lifts a 40mtr. long section .
IMG_6172.JPG

cooling down....
HDXB7669.jpg

Made use of my map holder MkII, made from bits of perspex and lexan plus RAM fixtures.
To me, as being from the old school....a much better way to keep on track then a GPS.
With a GPS - I used that on Burney- it's o.k. to ride at night when you simply want to arrive, but at daytime I prefer a map.
Make me know where I am in relation to villages and cities as I am still used to 'old fashioned ' maps. :lol:
mapholder mk2 (2).jpg
mapholder mk2 (1).jpg

JohnnyBeckett

Re: it's hot out there

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:22 pm

hi i looks like you had a nice ride out and you got going again, i think that is part of the fun of riding a old bike is the challenges you over come wen on the road 8-) 8-) :) take care and keep safe

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Maps - much much MUCH better than GPS, you get information on what's in the country around and about instead of a picture of the world as a line with the odd arrow pointing from it.
I have heard that some research has suggested that people who only use GPS don't fully develop certain parts of the brain that deal with 'spatial' awareness, and because of this are more at risk of loss of 'brain function' (and perhaps dementia) as the years go by.

Windmills - well, that'll be yet more of that really nasty global-warming SF6 gas leaking into the atmosphere from all the electrical equipment then. Didn't I see somewhere that some clever Dutch folk had come up with a viable, non-warming alternative for SF6? I'm sure I did, but then again I'm also sure that the EU decided that they wouldn't make people stop using that god-awful SF6...
(Ooops, rant coming on, time to bail out)

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Ah! you made me find out about this SF6.... did not know about it yet.
here's what i found on a dutch website :

100,000 wind turbines in Europe have leaked an estimated 150kg of SF6 annually in the past six years. This equates to an annual emission of 3,525 tons of CO2.
To put this in perspective,
these 100,000 wind turbines saved 255 million tons of CO2 in that year by generating 336TWh of green electricity. The leakage of SF6 is therefore only a fraction, namely 0.001%, of the avoided emission of CO2.
Various alternatives to SF6 are currently being investigated, such as new combinations of clean gases. The results are promising and implementation is already underway. The wind sector supports the further development and application of these new technologies

Dont know if the numbers are correct and / or include the making/building process of those turbines, article is from oct. last year.
Interesting nonetheless !

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:29 pm

There are lies, damn lies... and statistics.
To work out that 255 million tons of CO2 have been saved by windmills, how has that been arrived at - by comparing against emissions from power generated by the 'dirtiest', most inefficient coal burning power station in the land? (Can't see it being true if you were to use France as a yardstick 'cos almost all their power generation is CO2-free)
It's very easy to make SF6 leakage appear insignificant by using statistics that show how little of it there is, weight for weight. The problem is that it's 23500 times as bad as CO2 (so 1kg SF6 is equivalent to 23500kg - ie 23.5 TONNES - of CO2) AND it's extremely long lived (persists in the atmosphere for 1000 years or more). So you don't want to be letting it build up. Not at all.
And it's not just wind turbines, it's used in all sorts of electrical switchgear - so as the environmental push goes towards doing more and more things electrically, the numpties are allowing more and more horrendous greenhouse gases to proliferate.
UK alone might have more than 1000 tonnes of SF6 in existing installations, growing at a rate of 30-40 tones per year. EU figure might be 6.73 megatonnes CO2 equivalent for emissions alone, growing by over 8% per annum. (2017 figures)
(Basic stats from a BBC programme 2019, which also cites various university studies and government agencies as the 'ultimate' sources:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49567197 )

Apparently, 6.72 megatonnes of CO2 is equivalent to 1.3 million extra cars on the road in a year. As a motorist/motorcyclist I am being perpetually beaten up for the damage my internal combustion engine is doing to the planet - beaten up by a load of halfwits. More electricity = more SF6 (could have banned it, didn't). Hey - lets put more ethanol in petrol, look how green we are!!! Yeah - and what's the exact saving of that, in terms of emissions? B. all compared to what you're turning a blind eye to.

Global warming caused by air travel, somewhere around 4% globally? Global warming caused by cement production, maybe 15% - so we've got a mass movement of 'flight shaming' and Swedish eco-goddesses who insist on travelling internationally by eco-friendly yacht - why aren't you 'concrete shaming'? Air travel has comparatively zero effect on the environment.

As for getting rid of petrol and diesel cars....are we then doing nothing about petrol/diesel lorries, vans, tractors, buses, trains? And if we're going to get rid of those as well, exactly where will the petrol/diesel come from for hospital (and other) emergency generators? I'm also quite intrigued about how NATO is going to function without diesel (as their entire strategy is based on easy access to plentiful supplies of diesel....wherever they have to deploy to).

I came across an article the other day, to do with USA 'great green navy', where the reporter was enthusing about how the US marines have apparently replaced their battlefield radio batteries with solar panels. This magnificence is not only 'green' but also saves front line soldiers from having to carry heavy batteries around with them, seemingly a 'win' on every front! To coin a phrase, 'you couldn't make it up'.

Vincent, I do very humbly apologise - must be the heat (and not being allowed out very much)(or maybe it's a new symptom!).

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:07 pm

O.K. ! wow. So I just keep on using my 75 year old Ariel that has not been replaced since..... TaDaaa! 75 years.
And thus prevented on it's tiny own the creation of 7.5 motorcycles (if one would take 10 years as a replacement yardstick...) :lol:

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:25 pm

Unfortunately it won't do another 75 years without being replaced with (or converted to) electric.
Maybe only 20 years - and well before that the price of petrol will have been pushed way, way high to help convince you to change to an expensive, electric thing that can't recharge in less than 30 mins without melting the charging point and is so heavy with batteries that the world will be getting covered in rubber dust from the tyres.
And as less folk use petrol/diesel the amount of money the govt takes is going to reduce (another reason to keep increasing the tax), and here in the UK petrol/diesel make a massive amount of dosh for the taxman....so where's that money going to come from when you've got rid of petrol/diesel sales? Has anyone been even thinking about that?
Oh dear, I'm going again.....

The sensible thing would be to synthesise all petrol/diesel/avgas from CO2, and also put more of it back into the ground. Then we could think about being carbon-negative in...how about 10 years (instead of this spineless, pathetic carbon-neutral in 30)? So you might need more energy to input into that process, but how does that compare with all the energy you need to charge all those electric cars/buses/lorries/taxis/vans/aeroplanes that is supposed to be the only way forward?
I wonder why we don't hear more discussion involving things like this - but I suspect I know a few reasons why that would be.
https://carbonengineering.com/

OK, I really will go now....... :oops: :oops: :oops:

SG

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Geeee mate, thats a whole lot of worrying you have going on there.
Time to get out on your Ariel and blow a few of them out !

Return to “Main Chat Forum”