moving house.

Bikes or not. Whatever
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

moving house.

Postby david.anderson » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:02 am

Well guys I am going to disappear from the forum for a while. I have exchanged contracts for the sale of my house and will be moving in 2 weeks time. Moving was not something that I wanted however I have been forced out by a crooked developer and corrupt local councillors. My current home was my dream home. 2.5 acres of near level land with magnificent mountain views and just acreage around me, a 300m2 house 135m2 boys shed, 90m2 bird aviary complex (another hobby) and a 9m swimming pool, manageable landscape gardens and a horse paddock. Yes apart from the iron horses I have a 4 legged one. It took me years to build where I am and it was my forever home. Value around 1.8m but I had to drastically reduce it due to the corruptly obtained subdivision that surrounds me, and I even had to fight a big battle over a road that the developer proposed through my property. I only just won that one. Been on the market for almost 12 months and have had numerous people early on submit reasonable offers however each withdrew after finding out about the nearby subdivision or road. Then we had our bushfires and now covid, all of which stopped property sales, but fortunately I have just found a purchaser who is prepared to live with the changes to the area, but at a drastically reduced price.
When I first decided to move I spent almost a year travelling up and down the NSW coast each weekend to try and find a suitable vacant small acreage and finally settled on one at Bodalla. I have built a 108m2 shed which will integrate with my proposed house and have built a small flat at the rear of the shed that I will live in while I build. So now I am moving 2¼ hours further south. The really sad part about the move for us is that currently 2 of my 3 adult children are within 10 minutes, and my wife has spent a lot of time minding 4 of our grandchildren, aged between 1 and 10. We will really miss them. I just hope that they visit often.
So I have finished up at work and gone into retirement. I had 66 weeks accumulated annual leave and long service leave and had applied for 20 weeks leave only to get a prompt rejection. It has been ok for my employer to ask me to cancel several holidays that I had booked and to be continually needed but when it comes to actually granting me my leave entitlements that is another thing. They were shocked when I resigned as they did not expect it and I am the only employee with the qualification to do some of the work currently in hand. No longer my worry.
And taking it easy in retirement may have to wait as I have a home to build first so I will be very busy for the next 12 months then I can finish a couple of the bikes that I started a few years ago. I also have most of a 55 Fieldmaster twin for another project that I have yet to start.
For the moment however I have been packing and moving all my gear including lathes, a 3m sliding table panel saw (about 400kg) and a complete workshop of joinery machines, bike parts that I never knew that I had, 10 complete motorcycles and a lot of other things. I am actually starting to get desperate because it seems like there is no end to it. A dual cab ute and a dual axle trailer fully loaded and many trips so far. At the other end everything is dumped in the workshop with no organisation and it is almost full, however at this end it seems like I have only just started. I also have a large bird aviary complex of 25 aviaries that I have dismantled and mostly rebuild at Bodalla. So the last 6 weeks has been very busy for me.
As for household furniture I am leaving that up to a removalist. After I move one of my first jobs will be to arrange an internet connection.
So I may not be able to participate in the forum or respond to any PMs for a while. Wishing everyone all the best, stay safe and I hope to be back on line before too long.
David

Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: moving house.

Postby Brian_Walker » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:53 am

Great news David, I don't envy packing up the shed to move, when we eventually move (I need more workshop space) sheds seem to fill like hard drives and soon reach a point where.
(a) you can no longer finds things,
(b) you know where they are but they can longer be reached due to clutter.
Be nice to have enough land for a small short circuit track!
I love the Bodalla area although it get a bit chilly this time of year so I am looking North Coast.
All the best with the move,
Brian
1951-52 VCH under restoration

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:16 pm

David - very best of luck with the move and the rebuild.

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:39 pm

reminds me of a guy I used to work with......he has an old house ,numerous sheds ,containers,junk etc ,and development is happening all around him .......he lets his cows wander around the street ,the mess doesnt impress the new townhouse residents ...........I have had continuous drama with the council over 30 yrs now ,but he says he doesnt care....Im thinking he will when his cows get impounded.............Anyway ,no one to blame but himself ....he used to own the whole street ,always complaining about rates ,land tax ,etc.....and poor return from rents ........so he sold to the developers ,for around a million a block ......says he has no intention of moving.........I suggested a wall right around the front ......nope ...f-em,he says.

JohnnyBeckett

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:37 pm

HI David sounds like you have got a lot of work on your hands hope it all goes well for you and good luck with you building take care and keep safe

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:16 am

Good luck David. A lot of things have changed since THAT Rally, haven't they? Nev

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:02 am

Its quite funny how we re supposed to be in a serious recession ,millions of unemployed,yet real estate has gone crazy........I was looking around just west of brisbane last year ,and there was hundreds of acreage houses on the market ,prices starting in the sub $200k ,now I look ,all the cheaper acerage is gone ,maybe 20 for sale ,at double 18 months ago prices .Guy next door has 400ha cattle farm there ,and he took me up to his place last year.....was the wind cold?.....and blowing a hurricane .......all the bare land doesnt slow the wind....Anyhoo ,wasnt impressed ,he was hoping Id be enthused as he wants me to sell to him,so I put it on the forget-it list........But Ive now sold out my junkyard ,and have 1 year to move the containers and big machines.....May scrap just about everything big ,was tossing up giving it all to the new owner.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:37 am

Good luck with everything David. Its not one big job in front of you, just lots of small ones. Celebrate everytime you complete something

Steve

john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby john.mitchell » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:42 pm

I'll certainly miss your input, Dave.
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

paul.jameson

Postby paul.jameson » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:12 pm

You have certainly had one hell of a year David. Let's hope that the move to Bodalla is the start of a much easier and pleasanter era of your life. Good luck with it all.

Paul
Paul Jameson
36 4G, 37 VH, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4, 52/53 ex ISDT KHA (project).
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist once more - but not Machine Registrar.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”