UK coins as rust proof washers

Bikes or not. Whatever
Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

UK coins as rust proof washers

Postby Mike Nash » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:48 pm

What ho, chums!

Wanting some rust proof washers a while ago I found that using UK "copper" 1p and 2p coins was much cheaper than buying non-steel washers but with the advantage that the hole I bored in them could be the size I wanted. Pre 1992 coins are the right ones 'cos post 1992 they may look the same but they're copper plated steel. (And magnetic -that's how to tell them apart.) If you want some, grab them while you can 'cos I think that with the rise of contactless payments in these Covid troubled times the Bank of England has stepped up its withdrawal of these older coins; it seems they're worth more in scrap than their face value.

Currently my Morris Minor's worth in coinage at least 20p and the VB about 12p. Regards to all, MikeN.

JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: UK coins as rust proof washers

Postby JohnnyBeckett » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:01 pm

hi Mike that is a good idea . the banks do not like to take them and shops and if you put them change up machines they charge you 11.9 percent to change it up / and it is a lot cheaper to use than buying washers 8-) 8-) :)

daveleek

Postby daveleek » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:45 pm

Mike you are under arrest for defacing the Queens head , only joking , but it could still be an offence to deface the Queens head on coins and stamps
I regularly soldered coins onto copper pipes as a tempory cap and often wondered if it was legal

daveleek

Postby daveleek » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:52 am

Mike you can lawfully use old coins that are no longer in circulation before May 1969 , and it would be nice to use the same year as your bike but be carefull not to drill that 1933 penny

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 am

Doesn't some Danish coins have holes pre drilled. :D

Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Mike Nash » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:17 am

Yes Dave, I wondered about that too.

I certainly didn’t fancy being dragged to the Tower and hung, drawn and quartered with my head stuck on a spike on London Bridge. So being an old civil servant I thought I’d call in a favour or two and check with Her Majesty. I explained what I was up to, how I spun up the coins and drilled through the face on my old Myford. She was a bit sharp. “The method is immaterial. We will not allow our face to be drilled into”. At this point I was a bit non-plussed but I had a sudden thought. “Do you remember George Formby? Your dad gave him an OBE in 1946”. “Ah yes” she said “such a nice man. He performed for us at Windsor Castle you know, in ‘41 I think it was. And all those sweet daft films, too”. Bingo, I thought! “Well, you remember “No Limits”? He rides an Ariel in that”. “Does he really? Well, in that case you may proceed with your Ariel and Morris Minor. We shall call off the hounds”.

So Dave, you’re in the clear. But don’t tell your Ford or Harley friends; I think her permission only applies to British classics. MikeN.
PS Thanks for the idea on dates. I'll look out for '56 & '63 now.

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:25 pm

Better warn our members in Thailand, 'Do not try this in your country' ! :D

In the Netherlands, during WWII, silver 10 cent coins where used to make pins showing the potrait of Queen Wilhelmina.
But you could not wear it openly so it was worn on the rear of a jacket lapel to be flipped to show quickly.
This one my dad made :
IMG_6819.JPG

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:08 am

yes ,many years ago I worked for the civil service ,and a young fellow who worked* there drew a moustache and eyebrows on a magazine cover pic of the Queen Mother.....Woman whose mag it was complained to the powers that be ,and the young fellow was suspended without pay for the duration. Sacked after a long enquiry with all kinds of bigwigs adding their outrage.....(*term used loosely)

Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Knud.Degnbol » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:17 pm

I found a french coin in the frontfork of my model A. It worked fine.

Eero.Korhonen

Postby Eero.Korhonen » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:34 am

Steven.Carter wrote:Doesn't some Danish coins have holes pre drilled. :D

And one krone coin from Norway as well.
Br, Eero
Ariel VH 1954, IZH 350 1962, H-D Sportster Hugger 1992, AOMCC Member 133

Return to “Main Chat Forum”