Cover girl!

Bikes or not. Whatever
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Cover girl!

Postby Wali.Badger.Taylor » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:35 pm

I have made the front page of Cheval, this fills me with joy but the address sheet in the envelope bag says I have been demoted to the LE Velo Club. Have I sinned?

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:07 am

The LE was for Girls and Parsons.You must really have sinned. Was it fun? Everything that is a sin looks like it would be fun. Nev

adrie.degraaff

Re: Cover girl!

Postby adrie.degraaff » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:14 am

Havn't seen the Sheval but some mashines will give you joy, like if you are in a real dipp try a Citroën 2CV, the smile stays on as long as you keep riding specialy in the dirt.

André Citroën was a Dutchman by the name of Citroen (lemon) but his Frence teatcher altered it for not beïng abel to say the word.

john.mitchell

Postby john.mitchell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:37 am

Had you not heard, Wali? The LE Velo Club quietly bought up our shares (we are after all a limited company) and mounted a hostile takeover last week. The price of LE Velocettes has soared whilst prices of Ariels are now in the doldrums.
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 am

Yep, and they're bringing out a new model to go with the LE. Calling it the Velocette Pixie.
Brilliant little thing. Should sell in the millions and re-kindle the Velocette name.
You'll be famous.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Wali.Badger.Taylor

Postby Wali.Badger.Taylor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:27 pm

I had a couple of LEs and they were fun. I would love to fit a hot motor like a 350 RDLC into one and run it at Santa Pod.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:11 am

They crack the frame, even with the little motors. Ok for going to the pub I suppose. Weren't they called "noddy" bikes? They are pretty quiet......... Nev

john.bryant

Postby john.bryant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Do not be too critical of the LE. They did quite high mileage and were much abused. I rode one in the early 60s on A46 patrol (Petty France to Bath City border) when at Kingswood, Bristol. What fun riding for free in beautilful countryside AND discovering quite a few old bikes tucked away in various sheds etc. along the way. Happy days.

Wali.Badger.Taylor

Postby Wali.Badger.Taylor » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:21 pm

I got nicked (twice) for fishing on a Sunday in Cannon Hill Park by a copper on one, so bloody quiet I never had a chance to hide my gear and run,
I once took a LE Mk2 from Birmingham to North Yorkshire and back in a weekend, the compo head gasket failed near Pontefract and was replaced with one of my spares, the radiator coolant was replaced with our collective urine and all was fine until I boiled the rad in Chesterfield :mrgreen:

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:02 pm

The quietness of the old "noddy bikes" was always a problem to me and a pal in our very early teens in the period 1960-62, wheeling our field bike over the road to ride on some rough parkland. Our answer to PC Burns after he had sneaked up on us, was that we did not need licences or insurance, because we had carried the bike over the road and so it did not touch the ground. I can still see his Irish smile when he asked us on one occasion to carry it back while he watched! No easy task as I recall. Proper policing that earned respect.......not so nowadays.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”