Helmets

Bikes or not. Whatever
Wali.Badger.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Helmets

Postby Wali.Badger.Taylor » Mon May 13, 2013 8:18 pm

After my last crash on the road when I destroyed a flip up helmet (It was flipped down at the time)when my face hit the floor I decided that only a full face would do in future. I would rather wear a hat that makes me look a power ranger than spend months getting my face rebuilt.

PeterW

Postby PeterW » Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 pm

Found these - just in case you win the lottery!
http://silodrome.com/vintage-retro-full ... the-guide/

brett.hayhurst
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby brett.hayhurst » Tue May 14, 2013 3:00 am

They look very similar to the helmets drag racers use (top fuel, funny cars), that maybe another avenue. A good speed shop may be worth a look.
They are not into the Darth Vader look either.
Brett

chris.vredenbregt

Postby chris.vredenbregt » Tue May 14, 2013 7:01 am

are we in for good looks or safety? it is your choice, I have been in florida and it is weird to see them ride without a helmet ,but they probably have reinforced skulls or no brains ( I mean before the accident not after)...chris
black ariel model G special 1930 500 OHV

barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby barry.swanson » Tue May 14, 2013 7:37 am

...I guess you have to weigh up the risks, if a bumble bee didn't hurt so much at 100 klicks I'd wear an open face on the road so i use a flip up Nolan, open it up round town then close the hatch on the highway...its my second one and you can open it up with one hand and has a builtin sun visor which flips out of the way when not required.
On the track I use a shoe... I like white coz its the most visable

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Tue May 14, 2013 9:30 am

I've never come to grips with a full face. I know that bees bite and I've had so many do that I have to carry tablets to stop the reaction. I wear a cap that most kids put on backwards . I snip the button off cause if you leave it there it will punch a hole in your skull if you land on your head. The peak of the cap can be adjusted depending where the sun is and I have an open face (black cause all the bad guys wear black ones) and a set of good quality safety glasses. At really high speeds if the wind gets under the peak it flips up and your head wants to go back but for club type runs it has been the answer for me for longer than I want to think. A good fit on your head particularly the front region is essential. I can still recall the times when they weren't required. You had more awareness of the traffic around you than with the helmet on. Nev

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 am

Hi!

I'm fast coming to the conclusion that I'll have to just look for the least comical helmet around. I can see no point in compromising on safety.

You're right about Florida though. There's a place near where my outlaws live 'The Cafe Latinoamericano' (Coral Gables, Miami) where the motorised police take lunch 'cuase it's good and cheap. I couldn't get over the fact that they all ride in shirt sleaves, jhodpurs and pudding basin helmets - must have Kevlar skin as well as no brains to lose!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Tue May 14, 2013 9:41 am

Vision out of it is a safety matter too. Riding into the sun, my set-up works. I guess the thing is I don't like riding a motorbike on main highways, where a good helmet and probably special fluid to stop it fogging up is a necessity. At Autobahn speeds coming off a motorbike is not something I would seriously contemplate. You have a good chance of being dead. Nev

simon.holyfield

Postby simon.holyfield » Tue May 14, 2013 10:12 am

On Flip-Fronts again - mine, maybe not others but certainly my Airoh, is not that good for peripheral vision. That means that when looking over your shoulder you have to turn your head more - the result is that you don't get a very good look behind.

Vision is much better with the front up - but you can't ride with the front up. Imagine what that extra moment would do to your neck if you slide down the road and catch the front on the road. Helmets are shiny and smooth for a reason!

Round here, the police all use them. they remain a pretty good compromise. They are much better than a full face for example if you have to ask directions...less intimidating.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'78 CX500
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi,
I really have never even contemplated riding on a Motorway. I wouldn't rate my chances if I came off, not even so much as a result of the speed so much as what the other tarffic might do to me. Added to this, at motorway speeds my VH is running out of steam and my brakes give my nothing like the stopping power of my modern four wheeled counterparts - they never even consider this -no, not my preffered option and anyway, not much fun to boot!

I just don't like the prospect of leaving my face on the tarmac (even if some wouldn't consider it much of a loss)!!!

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Return to “Main Chat Forum”