Twin Square 4 engined car

Bikes or not. Whatever
brenton.roy
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby brenton.roy » Sun May 26, 2013 5:38 am

Hi Jade, (sorry, I figured it had to be Jad or Jade!)
PM sent. The parapet is pretty low here, so welcome to our forum. I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
If you do feel confident to upload photo's, I'm sure others would enjoy them.
And, welcome to our forum!
regards, Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

jadearling

Postby jadearling » Sun May 26, 2013 12:08 pm

Well that feels like a welcome and real interest, I had feared that some would see the car as sacriligious and belonging elsewhere which is why I've kept quiet about it but I have been quietly lurking and following the forum to glean information during the rebuild.

I only ran it for 4 minutes before Wiscombe after it blew a head gasket and broke a chain the first time we started it. The general impression was that I would break it, crash it or someone would call the police if we ran it for any longer so we decided that I should save testing it for an event in front of an audiemce, hence the Wiscombe hillclimb. I wasn't very quick in it but I did get up the hill 4 times without breaking (or braking!) or coming off although I must admit to being somewhat shaken and stirred by the end of the day.

The car was built as a Hillclimb/sprint car in the 50s, there must be very few who would have thought such a thing a good idea at the time but it was exciting and entertaining, and still is! But it probably requires a particular kind of madness to appreciate it, I love it! Kenneth Neve named it after Caliban from Shakespear's The Tempest, "Poor Caliban, always tormented by Ariel" I thought he was just joking but now I understand! I have his original photos of the car and many subsequent ones, the Cheval article I referred to before about it is a good one but I could bore for England on the subject so I'll stop now.

Jade
Attachments
!cid_614C373C-786D-48B9-8D41-31BCB197D976.jpg
DSCN1584.JPG
DSCN1574.JPG

jadearling

Postby jadearling » Sun May 26, 2013 4:07 pm

And some more but I am having difficulty posting some of the pictures, get a message 'image invalid', the car I can cope with it's the computer that does me in! Anyway that's enough for now

Jade
Attachments
DSCN1577.JPG
DSCN1551.JPG
DSCN1585.JPG

brett.hayhurst
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby brett.hayhurst » Sun May 26, 2013 4:42 pm

Looks like fun. Appreciate the pictures and information. We are not all rivet counters. Please feel welcome.

barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Twin Square 4 engined car

Postby barry.swanson » Sun May 26, 2013 9:45 pm

...I love your car Jade, I wouldn't go to a hill climd to watch/hear the rotarys and turbos but I'd go to watch/hear Calabin!...is Calabin a boy or a girl?
Let us know if you ever make onto youtube.

john.mitchell
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby john.mitchell » Sun May 26, 2013 10:31 pm

I would love to have an article for Cheval about the car, Jade
John Mitchell
Ex Editor Cheval de Fer

jadearling

Postby jadearling » Sun May 26, 2013 10:44 pm

Wot anuvver one John! Wasn't the 'Oil Boiler Double Trouble' article enough for you in the June 1990 Cheval?

Well if not, as I wrote earlier, I can bore for England on it so if you really want me to do something get in touch and outline what you're thinking, you're not going to want a book!

Jade

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Sun May 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks Jade, the photo's are great. Two square four motors must sound spectacular.
It would be great if you could put something together for the Cheval. One or two of us are new members since 1990..
What is it like to drive?
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

barry.swanson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re:

Postby barry.swanson » Sun May 26, 2013 11:31 pm

[quote="jadearling" ... I can bore for England on it ...Jade[/quote]

...don't forget the rest of the Empire like when you joined the EU...we want to be bored to!

brett.hayhurst
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby brett.hayhurst » Mon May 27, 2013 1:26 am

I would love to have an article for Cheval about the car, Jade

X2, yes please. And that is a good idea, some noise recorded during a good run to hear its 2 by 4 personality.
Brett

Return to “Main Chat Forum”