Dating a V Twin Ariel

Bikes or not. Whatever
GuyH
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Dating a V Twin Ariel

Postby GuyH » Sun May 19, 2013 7:40 pm

I'm not sure if I should ask this question in this section or the 'A Bad Thing Happened to my Ariel' section. That's because the remnants of an old V twin Ariel I've recently bought has had just about every imaginable horror inflicted on it possible: the frame's been cut and welded, nearly every tube is bent, the engine is minus it's top end and the one remaining con-rod is S shaped! Plus of course about 60% of it is missing. I do have the complete frame, bottom of the engine, mag, exhaust box, gearbox, rear mudguard etc as can be seen in the (not very good) picture but its obviously going to be a long term project! I'm not pursuing parts yet (but will be interested if anyone can help with any) as I have my OG and Square Four to complete but am interested if anyone can give me a rough date from the frame and engine numbers- Draganfly's records don't go back that far unfortunately. Judging by the gearbox I think it's somewhere between 1918 and 1923'ish but then the gearbox may not be original to the bike and I'm no expert. The frame number is 7266 and the engine is A9488. Any help gratefully received!
Attachments
Ariel V Twin 034 (2).jpg
1939 600 OHV 4F, 1956 MKII Square Four, a Healey, 1939 OH 250, 1939 OG 250 plus a couple of OG250 projects, 1920 Ariel V twin project and a variety of lesser makes

andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi,you sure have a job on your hands with that one,it looks like a belt driver by the kink in the rear part of the frame from the rear of the seat to the axel, it is an A K D engine, age is between 1915/23,good luck.

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Dating a V Twin Ariel

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm

I think, the frame start 7 so 1917, the engine could be 1919.

A good frame is just sold on Ebay.
Attachments
600 cc V Twin 1916.jpg
Last edited by adrie.degraaff on Sun May 19, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony.barnett

Postby tony.barnett » Sun May 19, 2013 9:18 pm

From your numbers, and comparing with other numbers and dates on my list (all be it they are `declared' dates), I would say 1920.

Adrie - as we've discussed before, the first number may well work for pre-10 bikes but later bikes don't follow that system too well.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC
Honda C70ZZ
The Offroad Fleet - Bultaco Pursang, Beta Rev 3

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon May 20, 2013 2:33 am

It says "Free Engine" on the advert. (they are the best kind). You will get this stuff if you keep looking. Nev

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Mon May 20, 2013 7:37 am

I have a "new old stock" part for it but it's also on yours.
Attachments
Ariel V twin 600 cc 1916 met zijspan.jpg

GuyH

Postby GuyH » Mon May 20, 2013 9:57 am

Thanks for your help everyone - looks like the bike is somewhere around 1920 which is great. I didn't realise the 'A' on the engine stood for AKD or that the first frame digit may or may not represent the year of manufacture so that's good to know as well. It's definitely a belt drive as I have the clutch and front belt pulley (also damaged!).
Nev - I'd like to pursue the 'free engine' in the advertisement but for some reason it doesn't list a phone number or e-mail address!

I saw the E-bay frame, rear stand and frame parts the others week and thought about putting a bid in thinking I'd win them cheaply as I'd be the only person who knew what they were for. Unfortunately that wasn't the case and they went far beyond what I'd hoped to pay.

It looks as if the frame may have been lowered by cutting and welding some tubes so if anyone has the lengths of the tubes between castings I'd be very grateful for the information. One of the first jobs will be making a jig and re-tubing the frame. As for the top tube I can only think that someone wanted to fit a saddle tank to it to make it look more modern and went to work with a hacksaw, welder and an enormous hammer!

By the way, Adrie - which NoS part do you have?
1939 600 OHV 4F, 1956 MKII Square Four, a Healey, 1939 OH 250, 1939 OG 250 plus a couple of OG250 projects, 1920 Ariel V twin project and a variety of lesser makes

adrie.degraaff

Postby adrie.degraaff » Mon May 20, 2013 1:42 pm

For measuremends take my photo, have it printed out 1:1, I did the same with the tricycle.

I have the numberplate- mudguard strip with org. bolts and logo but the stand clip is cut of, the photo is on "parts for sale" some where.

andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Postby andyhughesflattankarielpre25 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:30 am

Hi Guy,where are you,I have the parts that you want to measure in the flesh/metal,you are welcome to lend them to make life easier if you want,I have a v twin in the throw of being built ,it just got way layed along the way when easier things arrived,you are more than welcome to come and see it if you want,regards Andy.

GuyH

Postby GuyH » Tue May 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi Andy, Thanks very much for your offer - very good of you. I'm in Suffolk but am happy to travel (almost) anywhere to take some detailed photo's and measurements and get some advice.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”