HT sidecar combo

Bikes or not. Whatever
Roger_Redford

Re: HT sidecar combo

Postby Roger_Redford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:07 am

Thanks for that info, Nev> i'll run it and see and change plug if I get the symptoms.

adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby adrie.degraaff » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:20 am

For an anwer on the plug you need to know wat kind of cam and porting it has, with a HT plug in an HS engine you will burn a hole in the piston.

If your combo can be connected to a famous rider (winner) the prise could go to 10.000, so leave the sidecar as is for the moment.

Roger_Redford

Postby Roger_Redford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Yes, I was wondering if that could be traced and how I would go about it. I had a similar bit of detective work with another old bike I have and it produced some very interesting results.

Who would be the fountain of all knowledge for such things in the Ariel world?

callumives

Postby callumives » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Hi Roger

My HT5 engine starts with the pre-fix MJ... and frame RT..., when the frame was changed later by the factory it had the prefix CRT...

I do know of an Ariel works scrambles rider (Moto-cross to us post 1965ers) who used an HT frame on his works competition scrambles bike and said it handled well. The HT frame is a fine example of minimalism, single down tube and using engine as a stressed member.

As Adrie mentioned you would never have a sprung saddle on your frame but a nice comfy twin seat, a smaller competition version on the off road HS MK1 and full seat on the street scrambler HS MK3. As for the sidecar . . . unless it's really your thing, hide the damn thing in the loft and use the bike as nature intended, a lithe, responsive, high quality, single cylinder machine on green lanes etc. Probably will do that on my HT mainly as many 'modern' pre-65 trials seem to be set up for highly modified bikes and I don't want to smash it up too much!

Will be a nice bike though for sure!

Cal

Roger_Redford

Postby Roger_Redford » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks for the info Callum, I'll see what I can find seatwise....

Ah, but I like sidecars, I think this is why this came to me... and I have an old Norton with a Watsonian sidecar too, so I think it's fate! And it's something a little bit different ;)
Attachments
Vintage antics.jpg
es2.jpg

callumives

Postby callumives » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Ah yes Roger a fine Norton and rather funky sidecar!

If you like outfits then of course thats fine, I won't hold it against you as your heart is clearly in the right place! The HS is a handsome bike.

Back in 1972/3 when I was a kid of 5 years my Dad had an HS in the garden as spares for his HT, I loved and used to sit on it just pretending . . . may have a pic somewhere. Bet he sold it for like £20 or something. Still I now own his best mates '56 HT5 so got there in the end after 40 years!

Where are you based?

Cal

Roger_Redford

Postby Roger_Redford » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm in Cumbria, Callum. And you?

Roger_Redford

Postby Roger_Redford » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Well fellas, been down this weekend and put in the plug, changed the crap old fuel for fresh, 5 or 6 kicks to get everything through... retarded the ignition on the lever after the kickstart nearly launched me into the garage ceiling, and hey presto.... fired up! Seems to run pretty sweetly and I had brief run up and down the cul de sac to check the gearbox, all nice and smooth... so, all systems go for some autumn greenlaning!

Thanks for all the advice and help....

One more question... tickover.... how easy is this to set up on these carbs? I would imagine it should be a nice smooth tickover on a trials engine...?

Return to “Main Chat Forum”