Maiden voyage

Bikes or not. Whatever
Roger_Redford

Maiden voyage

Postby Roger_Redford » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:48 am

Well gentlemen, had my first proper run out on the sidecar outfit on Sunday and bike ran really well, nice power, smooth gearbox, plug a nice biscuit colour on inspection...

Mainly bobbed around the country lanes and tracks around here and had some good fun... one downside, the left hand front tank bolt mustn't have been very tight as it had vanished when I got back and checked the bike over, along with the rubber mounting and the metal sleeve inside it... are these easy to get hold of? Those of you in the know will know what it looks like, 3 inch long, inch and half or so diameter?

I will be off to Stafford on Saturday so will see if I can pick one up. Any pointers as to who to see?
Attachments
HT4.jpg

andrew.chapman
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Maiden voyage

Postby andrew.chapman » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:19 pm

On an Ariel single you need to lock-wire them on. Otherwise they will always escape sooner or later, no matter how hard you do them up.
AndyC
http://www.foxwoodmotorcyclerandr.co.uk
BMW K1300GT 2009, BMW K1200RS 2002, Ariel VH 1954, Sunbeam S8 1952

admin
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby admin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:17 am

Draganfly or John Budgen will sell you rubbers and bolts.
You need the bolts with the holes through the heads.

You don't need to overtighten them either.
Just get some stainless/galvinised thick wire (that is just thin enough to just get through the holes) and run it between the two front bolts.
Do the same with a seperate bit on the two rear bolts.
Simply bend the wire 90 degrees where it comes out of each bolt head.

This means that the bolts won't undo.
It also means that you can bend the wire straight and pull it out, to get the bolts out and tank off, and then reuse it afterwards. Dead handy by the side of the road.
If you use modern safety wire (pretty thin) then you usually have to break it to remove it.
John Nash
Administrator
webmaster@arielownersmcc.co.uk

Roger_Redford

Postby Roger_Redford » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:42 pm

Great bit of advice John! I will seek out Draganfly and give that method a go. I should know that regular nut and bolt checking is part and parcel of owning a big old thumper...
Thanks again

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:03 am

You can get aircraft "tiewire" but may have to get a fairly large reel. ( Split it up amomhst a few of you) It's available in different gauges. Alternatively you can use flat strips of sheet metal with a hole drilled near one end and bend tabs over, one near the hex and the other at the edge of the frame lug. Nev

ian.scott

Postby ian.scott » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:35 am

I always use the solid copper wire stripped out of domestic power cable . It lasts through several cycles of straightening and rebending .

Ian

Roger_Redford

Re: Maiden voyage

Postby Roger_Redford » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Thanks for all the tips, gents. Should have the bits I need next week and have found an old piece of copper wire out of a length of twin and earth so will give a go in the bolt heads.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”