Knud.Degnbol wrote:I have been inspired by your story. I have an Ariel model A with the same gearbox, which have a worn bush for the kickstart. I might need to do the same to that.
You will have to be careful when machining the thread in the gearbox cover - there are two steel 'stops' in the back - meaning that you have to stop the threading tool just as it clears the alloy:
Unfortunately, my lathe doesn't have a clutch so I have to judge when to turn it off and then grab the chuck with gloved hands to stop it .
It doesn't always work and I ruined at least one threading tool .
I turned-up a threaded mandrel that screws into the face plate (mine is a 'Boxford-Type' lathe with a 1.5" BSF thread (8 TPI)). I then turned half of it down to exactly fit the original kickstart sleeve.
This allowed me to accurately centre the end cover on the faceplate before bolting it down.
It also gave me a method of checking that the new sleeve was concentric with the cover. My first attempt was slightly 'off', the second one was fine .
I turned the original kickstart shaft bearing out of the shaft - it is 'stepped' so go carefully!
The new one was turned out of bronze tube (expensive stuff ) and then pressed in.
I don't claim to be a great Machinist - but I'm learning. If I can help at all just give be a shout