Welding Old Alloy

Bikes or not. Whatever
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: Welding Old Alloy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:26 am

Knud.Degnbol wrote:I have been inspired by your story. I have an Ariel model A with the same gearbox, which have a worn bush for the kickstart. I might need to do the same to that.
Knud

Knud,

You will have to be careful when machining the thread in the gearbox cover - there are two steel 'stops' in the back - meaning that you have to stop the threading tool just as it clears the alloy:

Unfortunately, my lathe doesn't have a clutch so I have to judge when to turn it off and then grab the chuck with gloved hands to stop it :shock: .

It doesn't always work and I ruined at least one threading tool :x .

I turned-up a threaded mandrel that screws into the face plate (mine is a 'Boxford-Type' lathe with a 1.5" BSF thread (8 TPI)). I then turned half of it down to exactly fit the original kickstart sleeve.

This allowed me to accurately centre the end cover on the faceplate before bolting it down.

It also gave me a method of checking that the new sleeve was concentric with the cover. My first attempt was slightly 'off', the second one was fine :roll: .

I turned the original kickstart shaft bearing out of the shaft - it is 'stepped' so go carefully!

The new one was turned out of bronze tube (expensive stuff :shock: ) and then pressed in.

I don't claim to be a great Machinist - but I'm learning. If I can help at all just give be a shout ;)

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

BarryDavies

Postby BarryDavies » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:28 pm

I got myself a kit for low temperature welding aluminium etc. It works half way between soldering and welding, closer to brazing. It is called a 'Lumiweld' kit, from LB Restoration Services, Bodmin.
If it is as good as advertised then it will be a cheap and safe way to repair ally

Bob.Murphy

Re:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:49 am

That sounds interesting Barry, I'll look into that.

Do you have plans to use it in the near future - it will be interesting to hear how well it works ???

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH

Bob.Murphy

Re: Re:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:46 am

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 'Lumiweld kit' - 20-rod version (a guy just can't get too much practice :lol: ).

I'll let you all know how it works ;) .

Bob.

Knud.Degnbol
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Knud.Degnbol » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Fine Photos. My advance planning is much easier now.
Knud

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby nevhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:48 am

Before TIG Al used to be welded with an oxytorch but it was a true weld. The filler was similar to the parent metal. The problem with Aluminium is that the surface forms an oxide almost instantly and a flux or gas shield (inert) is required.
Lower temp rods Melt below the parent METAL) would be a form of soldering ( similar to brazing IN PRINCIPLE which is high temp solderingin a fashion). There was a torch called a Dillon which does good welds and may be something like what you propose. Nev

Bob.Murphy

Re:

Postby Bob.Murphy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 am

nevhunter wrote:There was a torch called a Dillon which does good welds and may be something like what you propose. Nev

I don't have much information on the 'Lumiweld' product. The kit was only £28 so I thought it worth a look. I don't know what heat source is used.

I have Butane and Propane torches and can lay my hands on an Oxy-Acetylene rig if necessary, plus I have a stick welder that can be used with various torches to produce arc heating.

I will see what turns-up, then get practicing.

Bob.

nevhunter

Postby nevhunter » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:21 pm

Very few people weld aluminium with oxy these days, but done well it is quite satisfactory. You must avoid flux inclusions. You use a lot of flux to keep it from oxidising. Practice on scrap pieces. Preheat and cool carefully or you will crack it .Nev

wade.edwards

Postby wade.edwards » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 pm

For pre weld cleaning of oily alloy I would recommend sending the part for vapour blasting which does a good job of pore cleansing.

Have always wondered what the ideal oven temperature would be to pre heat?

What is your address Bob? I am sending over a box of bits for machining. :lol:

Wade

Bob.Murphy

Postby Bob.Murphy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:08 am

wade.edwards wrote: What is your address Bob? I am sending over a box of bits for machining. :lol:
Wade

I wouldn't :roll: . . . This afternoon I was cutting 26tpi threads on long studs and managed to snap my 55deg threading tool - classic case of trying to cut too deep on the third pass.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert :oops: .

;)

Bob.

Return to “Main Chat Forum”