Repro tanks from India.

Bikes or not. Whatever
Leejm
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Repro tanks from India.

Postby Leejm » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:15 pm

Needing a new tank for my project, I got myself one of theses tanks. After two months it arrived, at first look it seemed great ! But putting it on the bike showed the mounting points were off ! And the tank sat too far back about 2 inches. This has been fixed now by myself. But I must say it was cheap ! So I shouldn't moan too much . Its a damn sight better than the one I had. So will run with it for now. Has anyone else had such problems?
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.

Steven.Carter

Re: Repro tanks from India.

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 pm

Sounds like your were lucky Lee as some of the reports aren't too good. I'm sure we would all be prepared to pay a little more to make sure we got tanks that fitted first time and looked good.

Steve

john.mitchell
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby john.mitchell » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:42 pm

It is really good to hear first hand experience of Indian made parts. It is so common to hear how bad they all are, but surprisingly few factual reports emerge. For instance, I must have heard a couple of dozen reports on how bad the girder forks are. I have never come across anyone who has actually purchased a pair. I have bought two headlamps and a couple of pairs of early levers. None perfect , but all very, very good value.
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 pm

To be honest most repro stuff has some issues. Not much of it is perfect if any! And what's the betting its all made in India or some far eastern land. it would be nice to have all new old stock to put on our bikes. But as we all know that all dried up many years ago. We all can only work with the parts that are being made today where ever in the world that maybe. Lee

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:35 pm

I also think its pot luck with what you get. You pay your money and hope for the best.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

My experience with Indian petrol tanks is similar. The one that I purchased had bolt holes that did not align with the frame and the tank was totally in the wrong position. My tank also has a skew in the bottom which necessitates the need for different height tank rubbers. To be fair the supplier did agree to take the tank back, although I would have been out of pocket postage costs. So I rectified the defects.
Recently however I was stupid enough to purchase an Indian front mudguard. Prior to purchase I thought there is not much that could be wrong with the mudguard and when I considered the very poor quality British rear mudguard blank that I had previously purchased I decided to try the Indian one.
The front mudguard is however 145mm wide when it should be 125mm (5”). The valence is also deeper than the original. How do I fit a 145mm wide mudguard between fork spring covers that are 135mm apart, and clearance is needed to operate.
The supplier has just agreed to take the mudguard back. The mudguard was $100 and postage $35. It is going to cost me $72 to post the mudguard back. My refund is $100 so I am left without a mudguard and am $112 out of pocket for the experience.
Clearly I am not the first person to try one of those mudguards. Everyone who has bought one would have had to return it, or do they rely on postage costs for returns preventing the return.
I will not be caught again.
David

IMG_0163.JPG

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi dave, im in the need of a rear mudguard . I also seen india made ones for sale. I guess after your problems i won't be buying one ! I know someone who got a set of girder forks for a triumph from India . He was over the moon with them. its seems very hit or miss in what you get.

john.mitchell

Postby john.mitchell » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:19 pm

Great, Dave. What we need is more factual info as you have supplied.
John Mitchell
Editor Cheval de Fer

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi John,
I bought a chrome panel tank, made by this guy - http://youtu.be/50A9wjJ40Dk
Lots of fine hammer marks. My hope is that it won't be as noticeable painted.
Brenton
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby robjameson » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Is it worth mentioning that our very own Peter kemp is able to supply British made tanks, they are not cheap but apparently very good quality.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1956 Ariel KH (LARGE project!)

Return to “Main Chat Forum”