Is the Ariel Colt that rare ?

Bikes or not. Whatever
Mickypic

Is the Ariel Colt that rare ?

Postby Mickypic » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:34 pm

I have just read an article which was published in The Classic Motor Cycle mag around 2002 which says that about 10,000 Colts were built between 1954 to 1958 with only about 60 of them known to have survived. Is there only around 60 left or is there a lot more out there ? There always seems to be one or two for sale on eBay . :roll:
Happy new year to all
Michael

Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Is the Ariel Colt that rare ?

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm not sure how many Colts are left but magazine articles aren't always accurate. A little while ago I was reading an old article that said only 30 W/NG's were left. There's nearly that many in the Hampshire Ariel branch :D
I've found the article, I'll post in the W/NG forum

tonyh
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby tonyh » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Please don't shoot me down but isn't it a re-badged BSA C10/12 ish?

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Paul_Linden » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:58 pm

I would be interested to know the total production number of Colts - 10,000 over five years or about 2,000 per year sounds plausible but it would be good to get confirmation from the archive ledgers. Something to follow up on when i'm retired!
There must be more than 60 Colts out there as they come up regularly (6 or 7 times a year) on ebay. It also depends on what is meant by 'survives' it could be anything from a box of bits in a shed, to taxed, insured and running on the road. Maybe the AOMCC secretary could tell us how many members have one - as we put this info on the application forms when we join the club.
Having rebuilt a Colt i estimate that it is about 50% BSA parts ("straight off the shelf") and 50% of parts that are unique to the Colt (it doesn't borrow any parts from the rest of the Ariel range) so it is an outlier from the Ariel family and has more in common with the C10-11-12 range. I don't know what was going on in the BSA marketing dept at the time but judging by the adverts they were pushing it as a more upmarket entry level bike than the BSA C range.
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

Mickypic

Postby Mickypic » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Well I have just bought one as a basket case which will not be recorded, this is why my interest in them. Using Paul's restoration blog on this forum as a great reference source. The part book only shows exploded view of engine and gearbox so the blog is of good use to where all the other parts go. Paul I will be asking you a lot of questions in the future. Still looking for a advance/ retard unit, request in parts wanted section. There are only 4 colts listed in the VMCC register of machines the last time it was published in book format.
Cheers Michael

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:53 pm

Happy to help if i can Michael, either here on the forum or the message system.
That reminds me, i must update my avatar pic as it still shows the bike before the rebuild.
As a small aside i am a member of an online forum for C10, C11 and C12s and got my Colt pictured in their 2014 calendar! :-)
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

Paul_Linden

Postby Paul_Linden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:12 pm

There's an advance retard unit for a C12 listed on ebay which will work on the colt:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-C11G-C12- ... SwZG9WjnOh

Return to “Main Chat Forum”