Returning Member Introduction

Bikes or not. Whatever
barry.krauter

Returning Member Introduction

Postby barry.krauter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello all, I am a returning member from the 1970s.

My first Ariel was (literally) a basket case I bought in 1972 for $80. The bushel baskets contained BK5231 and LB2295 crankcases, 350cc and 500cc iron-engine top ends. The frame was a CAPRxxx swing arm. An oil-stained "the "Book of the Ariel" found in the basket was my sole guide. The 350cc had a piston but no exhaust pipe. The 500cc had no piston, so the 350cc motor got the nod. I cobbled together an exhaust pipe, but seem to remember the top end of it was flex tubing. They engine sprocket was 23-tooth so you couldn't do more than 60mph in top gear, still the bike would pull away cleanly in low gear. Of course the headlight shroud and FERC were long gone. I had no idea of the original colour scheme, so the tank and fenders were painted dark metallic green and the frame was gold(!). The bike used the LB2295 crankcases. It was very reliable, I remember driving to Huntsville Ont, about 165 miles and back without incident.

When I finally obtained a 500cc piston by mail and had the VH crank rebuilt, I used all the same running gear. I never had the valve lifter hardware, so I stopped the engine via the hand over the carb method. I was able to use the 500cc exhaust pipe, but it was wrong for the frame, so I used some more flex tube to get past the footrest.

Sorry if all this seems somewhat barbaric! I never encountered another Ariel single on the road. The only Ariel anyone here had heard of was the Square Four.

At any rate, I still have this bike and look forward to getting it going again. It will be a proper colour this time!

simon.holyfield
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Returning Member Introduction

Postby simon.holyfield » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:42 pm

Sounds great! Show us some pictures!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

barry.krauter

Postby barry.krauter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Simon, will see if I can find a contemporaneous photo as I disassembled this one in order to create a more authentic one in 1977. I have a 56 VH and a 55VH that have been waiting all these years. I am now retired so hope springs eternal.

I should have added that I am a Canadian, living near Toronto, Ontario. I was a mainframe computer programmer for 35 years. The kids have now left home so it's time to get the bikes out again.

Simon.Gardiner

Postby Simon.Gardiner » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:45 pm

Welcome, Barry
I'm a recently retired ex-programmer as well - but I've been struggling for 30 years to get 2 VHs together and you seem to have a shedful!. Not bad for someone who hasn't ever seen another Ariel single on the road!
Still, Canada's a bigger place than little old UK-land :D
Look forward to hearing more from you!

SG
'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (but all those Ariel parts can only make one running bike...)

barry.krauter

Postby barry.krauter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:34 am

Simon, not quite a shedful! The two I think I can complete have a long way to go and I will be short a few parts for sure! Lots of replating required too. Still looking for my magneto sprocket puller!

fpassmore
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby fpassmore » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:34 am

Hello Barry and welcome, I am a BC boy so at the other end of the country but nice to see another Canadian working away at their Ariels. I have a 51 Sq4 I ride, with a 56 in the works for over two years now, a 49 basket case waiting in the wings, along with a 37 twinport VH and a 31 SB31 sloper in many pieces. We won't even get into all the rest of them waiting for me to retire soon.

Frank
'51 SQ4, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, too many other BSA's, Norton's, Triumph's, Ducati's and Japanese to list. Just crazed is all my problem is.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:23 pm

If you get stuck for a magneto sprocket puller Barry. I'd send one over to you?
Good luck with your Ariels
Steve

barry.krauter

Postby barry.krauter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:10 pm

fpassmore wrote:Hello Barry and welcome, I am a BC boy so at the other end of the country but nice to see another Canadian working away at their Ariels. I have a 51 Sq4 I ride, with a 56 in the works for over two years now, a 49 basket case waiting in the wings, along with a 37 twinport VH and a 31 SB31 sloper in many pieces. We won't even get into all the rest of them waiting for me to retire soon.

Frank

Hi Frank, Great to hear from a fellow "wrencher" on this side of the pond. Sounds like a wonderful collection you've got there. Can you ride all year round?

barry.krauter

Postby barry.krauter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:14 pm

Steven.Carter wrote:If you get stuck for a magneto sprocket puller Barry. I'd send one over to you?
Good luck with your Ariels
Steve

Steve, thanks so much for your kind offer. I'm determined to find mine for now. I've seen it in the basement somewhere, but where? I'd like to be one of those people that never misplaces anything, but I'm not. I'm finding bike stuff I didn't know I had, but not the puller.

barry.krauter

Postby barry.krauter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:46 pm

simon.holyfield wrote:Sounds great! Show us some pictures!

Simon, here's two pictures from autumn 1974.

The black and white is my brother Jim with our bikes. I had stored the 1968 Royal Enfield Interceptor in 1972 so I could licence the Ariel. I had put the Enfield back on the road in 1974 to take a trip to Prince Edward Island. I gave the Ariel to my brother, and he used it as his daily transportation. If you look carefully you can see I built a little aluminum plate for the Ariel to house two gauges. The Enfield speedometer is on the Ariel along with a cylinder head temperature gauge. I had switched the Ariel to the iron VH engine and was worried it might get too hot, which it sometimes did.

I am afraid barbarities abound on the Ariel. I headlight shroud and brackets were long gone, so I had the generic chrome brackets. The fork gaiters were fitted over cut-down stanchion tubes. The muffler is non-stock. The exhaust pipe was an old rigid VH part with no attachment bracket, so a large radiator hose clamp secured it to the footrest.

The second picture reveals the green-and-gold colour scheme in all it's glory. I have no idea why Jim is so serious here, perhaps he preferred the original "Claret" finish.
IMG_1065.JPG
Ariel.jpg

Return to “Main Chat Forum”