Wheel rebuild Offset

Bikes or not. Whatever
NealHooper

Wheel rebuild Offset

Postby NealHooper » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:47 pm

Rebuilding front and rear wheels for an Ariel Colt, Can anybody tell me the offset on both. I am starting from hubs only so I have no idea if there is one.
Cheers Neal Hooper

david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Wheel rebuild Offset

Postby david.anderson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 am

Neal
The front wheel can be spoked then mounted in position and the rim can be trued to be centre between the fork legs.
The rear wheel is a little more difficult when the offset is unknown. It is probably best done by measuring and drafting a full size plan view of the frame. The axle and hub location can then be drawn in and the rim drawn centreline of the frame which will establish the offset.
Be aware that the rear frame parts may not be an even offset from the centreline. The frame centreline should be projected from the spine, but that can be established in the measuring and drafting.
David

NealHooper

Postby NealHooper » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:52 am

thanks David, that is helpful. Neal

Mickypic

Postby Mickypic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi Neal
I am also restoring a Colt. There is a question in 4 stroke technical questions section which may help you and if you could measure the spoke plate distance it would help me too.
Cheers Michael

malcolm.johnson

Postby malcolm.johnson » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:24 pm

I agree with David and always set the rim offset with/to the bike. After initial truing of the wheel/s. With the front, centre the rim to the steering head. With the rear, I always check the final drive chain line, sprocket to sprocket, first, using a taut fine string or hand held laser - it nearly always needs some trimming with appropriate spacer adjustment/ shims etc. Then with the fuel tank removed (and ideally the rear mudguard also) and a taut string fixed at the steering head/ laser, eye to the rear wheel, down the centre of the top tube of the frame and adjust offset until the rim centres to the top tube. Both wheels will automatically be in line, which is what you are after.

Paul_Linden
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Paul_Linden » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:42 am

Attached is a pic of my 54 Colt front wheel, taken to record lacing and offset before the rebuild. Just read the offset from the picture :D
IMG_2563.JPG
colt front wheel
Ariel Square 4 mk2, Ariel Square 4 mk3 (yes, really), Ariel Colt, Matchless G12, BSA C12. Room for one more......

Return to “Main Chat Forum”