keithberry
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: starting to come together

Postby keithberry » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:34 pm

shiney bits back
DSC_5578.JPG
DSC_5578.JPG
T150T Trident, 71 A65, 72 kawa h2, 70 h1 ,75 t160, kawasaki z1r . bsa cyclone. 52 sq4 :D oh i need a bigger shed :lol:

Steve McCarthy

Postby Steve McCarthy » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:15 pm

john.whiting wrote:There are plenty of good books about electroplating on google books.Both practical and technical.Most are so old that chrome plating isnt included ,though.Unfortunately,every time I have a computer blowup,i loose all the downloads.Last time I got smart and backed up onto disc,but now i have a laptop with no disc drive,and the cat has been sleeping on all my backup discs.Regards John.

Thanks John, I've got a few books knocking about myself but haven't located them since the house move. If I dig up any doable by home processes I'll post them up. I don't want to buy a kit as it would be daft to buy what I already have most of, so throwing money away.

Cheers, Steve

IanSlade

Postby IanSlade » Sun May 07, 2017 6:25 pm

I have been having success with nickel plating for my B rebuild. I got some Nickel Acetate crystals on Ebay for about £12 (I think they came from Lithuania). A small nickel plate from Germany also about £12 via Ebay too. I use some commercial paint cleaner used on tractors that has a lot of caustic soda in it for degreasing. Then a dip in distilled water then a dip in sulphuric acid for a final clean and etch. Back to the water then into a bath of warm nickel acetate with 2 D cell batteries for the power. It's not fast but gives a very smooth and pretty well ready to use surface if you prefer the dull nickel look. As always prep is everything and the more time you spend on cleaning and polishing and then degreasing the steel the better the results. Hope this helps. Ian

Return to “Main Chat Forum”