Looking after paint

Bikes or not. Whatever
nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Looking after paint

Postby nevhunter » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:59 am

Cellulose lacquer is the old way. Its easy to scratch and quite soft but you can touch it up and blend it as it hardens by evaporation mainly and other paints harden by chemical change. You could use a retarder thinners to slow the drying or add more thinners as you say but doing this can cause crocodiling if there's material in the undercoating that reacts to acetone. If that happens you have to take it back to bare metal and start again. You could also get pigments bleeding through subsequent coats. Done well it's a beautiful finish. Red pigment fades badly though. Allow for that effect when matching OLD original colours. I'm a bit of a two pack paint man today, but it has it's own problems with safety , but it's durable if not applied over a soft undercoat/surfacer, where it will chip. Nev

alan.moore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby alan.moore » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Leejm wrote:I will only use g3, then after I use a Polish. And you can shave your face in the paint work.

Can you let us know what make of Polish that you use please
1939 VH Redhunter;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:38 pm

Hi all sorry for the late reply been very busy the last few weeks. G3 compound works great, but does leave a residue behind afterwards. I give it a good wash and dry then I polished it with meguiars ultimate Polish. you can see from the photos the end results. By the way the whole bike is now painted. Wheels built forks back together, next job the plunger rear.
Attachments
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0001.JPG
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA (project)

alan.moore

Postby alan.moore » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:38 pm

Leejm wrote:... then I polished it with meguiars ultimate Polish....

Thanks for that. I was looking at using their swirl remover as a slightly courser abrasive after the G3 and the ultimate polish looks just the job for the final stage as it is described as being an ultra fine abrasive.

As you have said earlier you do not want to be adding any wax to the paint until it is a few months old as the thinners in the cellulose will still be escaping.

What do you use to apply the G3 and the polish?

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t

Leejm

Postby Leejm » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I use the g3 with plenty of water, and rub it by hand with a cloth, the Polish is used by hand also with a soft cotton rag. No wax for six months if you used it too soon it will seal the paint and the last of the thinners will have no where to go
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA (project)

Return to “Main Chat Forum”