Identification sought

Bikes or not. Whatever
adrie.degraaff
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Identification sought

Postby adrie.degraaff » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:21 am

Bob.Murphy wrote:I fitted BSA A10 front forks as I wanted the 8" full-width hub.

We are dealing with modern trafic so you need to make your brakes as good as possible, as long as you don't use discbrakes and it's looking the same age as the bike.

david.anderson

Postby david.anderson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:52 am

This is the BSA hub that I had intended for my VB. Looks similar to an Ariel hub, just bigger, and I have made a twin leader brake plate, to improve the braking further. But as you can see it is much narrower than the Ariel front hub and will clearly have the same problems as mentioned by Paul, if put to sidecar use. So I will be rethinking that one and am now looking for another 8” front hub that resembles an Ariel hub.
David
DSCN1342.JPG

DSCN1340.JPG

will_curry

Postby will_curry » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:12 pm

The 8" BSA front brake works well and can be fitted either with the BSA fork bottoms and BSA spindle
or the Ariel fork bottoms and spindle and much faffing about with sleeves 'cause the spindles differ
in diameter. The snag with the BSA spindle is that it's a bit short and no too easy to tighten properly.

Our trials outfit has had the BSA wheel for nearly 40 years now and with land's Ends, Edinboro's and
shopping trips I don't remember ever having to replace spokes in the front wheel.

hvh_comp.jpg

One consideration with a two-leading shoe brake is that they don't hold too well backwards when
they become two-trailing shoe.
Attachments
DSCF0515.JPG

Return to “Main Chat Forum”