Hello from Aus

Bikes or not. Whatever
david.anderson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Hello from Aus

Postby david.anderson » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:44 am

Brenton
If you get another look at Eric Parkers bikes, look a bit more critically. He has been duped with a few of them and does not know it. He does not have a HT but has an Ariel motor in a Honda frame that someone sold him as a HT. Then have a look at the HT cylinder and one of his HS cylinders and you will notice that they are cast iron cylinders with some silver paint.
Eric has always been on the look out for more bikes and he told me years ago that he had the biggest collection of Ariels in the world and was increasing it. When I heard about his bikes and parts being sold by family I was a little surprised. If Eric is well again I cannot see much being sold.
A “wall of square bottom ends” I saw a shipping container near full of rebuilt square engines, including possibly 10 cammys.
David

john.whiting
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Postby john.whiting » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:28 am

There is another "accumulation" of 4s on a property west of Inverell.Some of these guys dont seem to realize the kind of money they are sitting on with near zero security.On Saturday I went to visit a family Ive known all my life,they got a massive collection of stuff.The old bloke is older than me ,and he s definitely losing it.All he does is ask questions about things and then argue endlessly and get worked up about everything.The whole mob,sons too ,completely reject computers,mobile phones last until the bill isnt paid.Now they are starting to have problems because they cant pay their bills,not broke,just cant do anything online.I noticed a shed with a amph jeep sitting on the back of a truck,barely secured,and about a dozen jeeps in another shed.That stuff is worth serious money now.They wont sell anything,but are always wanting to buy.

Glenn Finch
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Glenn Finch » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi Brenton it's good news you are back all the best Glenn

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi David, yes, will do. I didn't get the feeling he was ready to sell.
Thank you all for your good wishes. It's impressive how much the library has improved - and how far Steve has ridden that Huntmaster :)
John, yes - it did make me think it's time to have a bit of a shed cleanup..
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Gary.Durrant
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gary.Durrant » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm

hey Brenton
I just got back from two weeks riding a Royal Enfield around Himachal Pradesh myself- only the foothills though, so didn't get that high, interesting riding though- did you wear the horn out on your bike?
I tried to get to see Eric Parker's collection when I was visiting my mum at Christmas (she lives down at Aldinga Beach), I found the premises (I think!) up at Nuriootpa and could see a lot of Ariels through a dusty window, but nobody about
did you get to the Sellicks Beach races?
AOMCC membership no. 4811
1957 VH
1980 Yamaha XS850
1981 Honda CM200

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi Gary, yes. I think I have RSI of the button finger :)
I thought Shimla and Sangla were beautiful. Did you get to either of those?
I didn't get to Sellicks - and should have.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.

Gary.Durrant
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gary.Durrant » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:14 pm

thought I might've worn a hole in my glove!
started & finished on the bikes at Shimla, went to Mandi, Mcleod Ganj, Chamba, Khajjiar, Dharamsala (had a bit of trouble with the local police here!), Rewalsar, Manali, Chindi & Chail- I don't think we went more than a 100 metres in a straight line!
if they run the beach race again in 2019 I'd like to try & get over- my mum's next door neighbour competed on his Triumph
Simon at Sellicks.jpg
1957 VH
1980 Yamaha XS850
1981 Honda CM200

chris.shearwood
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby chris.shearwood » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Gary.Durrant wrote: went to Mandi, Mcleod Ganj, Chamba, Khajjiar, Dharamsala (had a bit of trouble with the local police here!), Rewalsar, Manali, Chindi & Chail

I spent a few months in Manali back in 1972 but for some reason my memory of it all is a bit hazy.
1946 4G, 1950 NG and 1951 VH

Gary.Durrant
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Postby Gary.Durrant » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 pm

chris.shearwood wrote:
Gary.Durrant wrote: went to Mandi, Mcleod Ganj, Chamba, Khajjiar, Dharamsala (had a bit of trouble with the local police here!), Rewalsar, Manali, Chindi & Chail

I spent a few months in Manali back in 1972 but for some reason my memory of it all is a bit hazy.

the air does still have a certain aroma! I can only imagine what it might have been like in 1972 ;)
1957 VH
1980 Yamaha XS850
1981 Honda CM200

brenton.roy

Postby brenton.roy » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:04 am

first pic is a misty Shimla - where I understand it was the summer capital during the Raj - and where Kipling based a lot of the Jungle Book.

Second pic is from a random roadside stop. The stuff is growing wild everywhere. I have a theory that the cows have discovered it - explaining their very chilled behavior in heavy traffic.. :shock:
I have to say I was a bit naive about the Manali thing - until someone explained..

By the way - all this India stuff is Dave Barkshire's fault. A few years ago he sent amazing photo's of his visits to Rajasthan, and I was hooked.
Attachments
IMG-20170821-WA0028.jpg
IMG-20170823-WA0019.jpg

Return to “Main Chat Forum”