painted magnetos

Bikes or not. Whatever
stevenbell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

painted magnetos

Postby stevenbell » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I am rebuilding my Lucas MDB magneto dated 1029 and it seems it was painted navy blue or black I also rebuilt a 1955 magneto for a 55 Matchless witch had the same paint on it was this done at the factory? I am also looking for a good Lucas parts guy dose anyone Know one?

nevhunter
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: painted magnetos

Postby nevhunter » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:32 am

The MDB is a "one piece" magdyno isn't it? It's all aluminium and normally they are unpainted. Some military (where applicable) ones might have been painted but not that period.
Some American magnetos are painted all over( Dixie's and aeros) With the normal Lucas up to about 1930 with exterior magnet the magnet is enamelled black (semi flat usually I stove them and then remagnetise). The brass parts are dull nickelled. The aluminium is not polished. Some parts of the surface appear to be belt sanded /linished on the "monobloc" magdyno which went till about 1932. They are a very neat looking unit but delicate and hard to find/or build, good working ones. Quite a valuable thing to have on a good example of a period machine. Nev

stevenbell
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: painted magnetos

Postby stevenbell » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:53 am

Hi Nev
Yes the MDB is one pcs mag on the bottom and yes all brass is plated but on the body there is still some paint the mag looks like it has never been opened and there is still a spark

Return to “Main Chat Forum”