Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Bikes or not. Whatever
Steven.Carter
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:26 pm

Does look very hot there Ian. I'd have loved to have got there this year but next? I do hope so. Do you live far from Paris?

Ian.Taylor
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Postby Ian.Taylor » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 pm

Yes it was hot again this year. Friday was sunny & hot, Saturday was over cast and nice, Sunday was even hotter.

This year we left Friday 3:20 am and arrived 3.5 hrs later. best drive yet, Toronto traffic is brutal and usually takes us 4.5 -5 hrs to drive 180 miles
We live approx 130 miles East of Toronto in a little village called Tweed.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:39 pm

Yes, now you mention it I remember you saying before where you lived, just noticed we are the same age. Born in 57. Good year :D

Thanks Dave for a great rally. The site where we stayed at was very reasonable with good beer and food.
The ride out on Saturday followed something similar to the LDR with much less mud, great fun. The Ford had a least one causality in front of me doing some damage to his front brake and pride. Lying on the ground with your bike on top of you is tricky enough but in a Ford brings with it a few more difficulties. Plenty off help got him back upright and Paul Jameson had everything with him including a new front brake cable to get his brake fixed. Fantastic.

Here's my bike parked whilst the rescue was taking place, just hope the rainbows heading downstream didn't upset the fish too much, it was only a couple of drops.

2018-06-16 12.02.28.jpg

As my 27 was running on electronic ignition I needed to keep with me 12 volts. My previous experience with my twin suggested I'd get around 100 miles from a set of 8 AA's but for some reason, and maybe because I've a different coil I could only manage 30. I did bring a fairly big rechargeable battery but that only managed around 100 miles and I'd forgot to bring it's charger :oops:
On the Saturday run I only just made it to Abergavenny and more AA's. Luckily I found a motorfactors that sold mobility scooter batteries and got hold of a big one for £32.00, that got me around the rest of the ride and back home. I will get the mag sorted come winter time.

dave.owen

Postby dave.owen » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:29 pm

Ah, a mobility Ariel.
Dave
AOMCC Treasurer

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:04 pm

She's certaily old enough to need a mobility battery :D

I'm doing a little extra insulation that's being fitted into a hovercraft destined for a very cold climate. Couldn't quite get my orientation as it seemed as though the side windows had windscreen wipers. But then it is a hovercraft, they never go straight :)

2018-06-19 13.04.43.jpg

MBolton

Postby MBolton » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Always great to read your posts. I was riding around the Bere Peninsular last week. It was beautiful. We rode across the peninsular up a very lovely but steep pass on our way up to our hotel in Killarney. We did most of the wild Atlantic way, stunning riding. We especially liked the section around Donegal.
The Huntmaster rocker box you let me have has been fully refurbished by the mate I was in Ireland with and is ready to fit. Thank you again.
The VH I bought from Alan is wonderful and is rapidly becoming my favourite bike.
Keep up the good work.
Mike

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Cheers Mike, Alan will happy with that.

Bob and myself did a little reckie today for a club ride later in July. Another trip over the ridgeway.
So I got my WNG out to meet Bob at a bikers cafe near West Meon. Loomies. Didn't get too far towards West Meon before an old problem resufaced. My electronic ignition packed up when my light switch found a short cut to earth!. As at the same time my ammeter had decided to dismantle itself I natuarly blamed it for my demise. I didn't have any insulating tape so I stuffed the remnants into my glove and stuffed the whole lot back in the headlamp shell. This successfully got me to my meeting with Bob and also to a garrage to get some electrical tape. After getting my glove back and wrapping everything up in tape it still shorted out. It was then that I found the fault in the switch. The ammeter was innocent
2018-06-22 13.00.36.jpg

2018-06-22 20.34.54.jpg

Tell you what, when the fuse blew the first time I wondered where I might find a spare. But for once I was was wise and had fitted a standard blade type trip switch fuse. Each time it blew I just pushed the red button back in. Worked brilliantly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manual-Reset ... UhCKUqqliQ

2018-06-22 20.35.01.jpg

john.whiting

Postby john.whiting » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:08 am

Seeing all the scenery and such is enough to make me want to sell up and move to Blighty......unfortunately ,they probably wouldnt let me in.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:07 am

I'd let you in John.

I'm having my tea and toast hoping to get to a job in Slough.
Here's a sad photo though, Maplin, the electrical company that went bust. I was often getting stuff from them. I remember a few years ago breaking down near one in Liverpool. They had all I needed to get home.
20180626_065212.jpg

After my job in Slough I had very warm ride to Purfleet. Our back roads nowadays are plagued by temporary traffic lights, one particular 4 way set near Woking had me worried with a long wait for me in the hot sun so I held back for the shade from a tree. A guy in his truck wondered why I wouldn't move further forward till I pointed up at the sun :D

Finished the jobs fine and on the way home filled up next to another biker in West Meon. Got my pump numbers mixed up and ended up paying for his fuel instead of mine :oops: he laughed and said he'd stick his 50p discount in a charity box. :D

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:54 pm

20180627_111126.jpg

Didn't fancy another hot day behind my fairing so I rode my 56 Huntmaster. Not that many miles done since I completed its restoration last year and it showed a bit.
My first stop after my job at Porton Down was in Stockbridge. A north Hampshire town and coffee at Lilly Langtry's.
Then a ride over to an old people's home in Borden. I noticed a slight miss fire when I slowed down then as I arrived she just died. Hmm. Well I got to the job at least. I checked the fuse which all looked good so I had a fish around my electrics looking for a fault but all looked good. Luckily a handily placed electrician was working in the same boiler house as me and lent me his volt meter. The battery was good but the fuse realy was blown. I did a temporary fix with a few strands of wire which got me to Haselmere Motorcycles, the guy there said he hadn't sold any of these blade type fuses in years but I was 2nd fuse he'd sold today! Must have been something in the air :D I had a free tea there and look around the bikes. A good dealer I'd say.

I'd also lost my gearbox oil filler cap. I've got a spare fortunately.

Lovley fields in the sunshine

20180627_141933.jpg

20180627_142154.jpg

Return to “Main Chat Forum”