Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Bikes or not. Whatever
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Postby Keith.owen » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:34 am

Steve,
Next time you take your VH out I'll follow at a distance....................you never know what useful bits could be picked up!!!

No, seriously, It has happened to all of us. I lost my battery a few years ago. Fortunately it bounced (being a rubber case with cyclons inside) and I recovered everything except the top of the box and made another out of plywood. Lesson learned, I 'wire' the foxing bolt in the carrier.

Have you tried a rubber washer akin to the ones that drags sell for the single rocker box inspection caps?

Safe riding!!

BR,

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:07 pm

Keith.owen wrote:Steve,

Have you tried a rubber washer akin to the ones that drags sell for the single rocker box inspection caps?

Safe riding!!

BR,

Keith

No I haven't Keith. How does that work?

Last week I went to the opticians to have my ears de-waxed, clearly successful as my bike sounded like a bag of nails on the way home :D . Whilst I was there I made an appointment to have my eyes checked. It's years since I had my eyes lasere'd and thankfully I still don't need glasses. The optician did the pressure test on my eyeballs and he was most impressed that I didn't flinch, I said I'm used to this sort of thing, my eyes are pressure tested most days with wings attached. I know he said as he removed the remnants of one that got in my eye on the way :D

A lovely 1958 Velocette parked next to me as I arrive at the Optcians, we got chatting for nearly too long!

2018-06-30 13.23.45.jpg

Keith.owen

Postby Keith.owen » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:58 am

Hi Steve,
What Drags sell for the rocker boxes are rubber rings (circular profile rubber) about 1/8th inch cross section. They are used to replace the original gaskets and I tighten the rocker box covers up just tight enough for the rubbers to not be displaced (if you over tighten they stretch and the some of the material gets squeezed out in a little loop.

They seem to work very well - I think the rubber absorbs the vibration as well a creating a friction lock between the rocker box mating surface and the friction cap. I think something similar might well rocker with gearbox filler caps if one can get a suitably sized ring.

BR,

Keith
Keith Owen
AOMCC Member 4296
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate

simon.holyfield

Re: Re: Daily Fixing and Riding Diary on a mainly Ariel 2018

Postby simon.holyfield » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:47 am

I bought this kit from ebay:

http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com/2 ... aking.html

I have one on my oil tank cap; after reading this and noticing that my W/NG rocker box caps were oozing yesterday, I shall be making further use of it!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four, '58 Huntmaster, '42 W/NG, http://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:43 pm

Cheers Simon, Keith. I know now what you mean.

Steve

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:04 pm

Get some decent weather and my work drops off, were prety busy in the workshop but nothing much for me to go out and measure.
Something today though in Kettering on the roof of a private hospital and then after a small job in Diss.
Now for something of a background.
20 odd years ago now I converted an old Bedford Raskel pick up truck into electric. 120 volts from 10 lead acid batteries under the platform bed. I just bolted the motor onto the end of the gearbox where the engine used to be. I worked really well with around 25 miles range. But a big but. It killed the batteries after around 500 miles. Then around 10 years ago i bought an electric pickup up from Aixium. That one had a 30mph top speed and also had around 25 mile range. My mate mick coming to work would regularly get stuck behind it. He realy loved it NOT.

Well fast forward to today I've just had a ride on an electric bike. A Zero S. What a strange experience. It sounded like an underground train. But really quiet.

I'll write more later, still north of Cambridge

20180704_120110.jpg

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi Steven , I've send you a PM, can you look please?

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:06 pm

I've just seen it, I'm on it.

Steven.Carter

Postby Steven.Carter » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes it was an interesting ride, really a strange sensation. The range these bikes can do is getting close to being useable.
The Zero S on the gauge showed a full charge with an estimated range of 105 miles. I rode 20 miles around the country lanes without going above 50mph. Got behind a tractor for a few miles and I stuck to the 30mph speed limits like a good boy. When I returned the bike it then said I had a range of 117 miles plus the 20 I had already done meant it could possibly have had a range heading towards 150 miles. Now that isn't too bad. But I believe that motorway riding at up to 70mph would dramatically drop it's range.

20180704_115950.jpg

Whilst I was there at Diss I had a look at some other stuff he did.
This is the new Royal Enfield 650 twin.
20180704_134955.jpg

20180704_134901.jpg

I did around 380 miles on the Huntmaster so if I'd done that on the Zero it would have needed at least 2 overnight charges to have completed the ride using the standard chrger lead. There is the option of a "charge tank" with a 6.6kv output, this can put around 100 miles in the "tank" in an hour from those charging sites that are beginning to appear all over the place.

20180704_200321.jpg

Vincent.vanGinneke

Postby Vincent.vanGinneke » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:15 pm

All very nice and perhaps the future.....
But is going electric not just shifting the problem?
The materials for those batterys also come from mother earth.

tenor.gif
tenor.gif (1.49 MiB) Viewed 185 times

:lol: :lol:

Return to “Main Chat Forum”